Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753905 Members
9805 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procurve remote management IP addresses

BJ Birkholz

Procurve remote management IP addresses

I am new to using Procurves, but have a large amount of experience with Cisco switches. I am trying to setup IP addresses on each Procurve switch so that when I am remote I can telnet into the switch. On a cisco device I just had to set the IP in VLAN and tell it no shutdown. For some reason on the Procurves I don't seem to be able to do something similar to this. I set the IP address on a VLAN and unless I have something plugged into that VLAN on that switch it doesn't seem to activate the IP address.
Maybe I am missing something really easy, but I am having massive brain farts at the moment.
2 REPLIES 2
BJ Birkholz

I have since got it to work. As far as I am aware I changed nothing and it started working. Which is fine, just didn't make a whole lot of sense.
I have one VLAN (1) with a 172.16.200.x address configured on each switch and I can get to it from other VLANs. So all is right in the world again.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Cisco behaves similarly (at least when configured for routing).

a vlan is down when no ports are active in this vlan (link up is sufficient).

If you create a vlan, thats is not propagated to other switches and assign the interface in this vlan an ip-adress, then this adress is unreachable when the vlan is down.
when configured for ospf (or so) the switch also will actively publish routes to this subnet when a port comes up, and remove when all-down.