New Discussion юеВ

Re: Procurve switch USB drive.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marco A.
Esteemed Contributor

Procurve switch USB drive.

Hi,

I would like to know procedures to mount/umount the usb key in the switch, I found some commands in the ROM mode, but they are not really usefull as I don't know the device name, etc.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Just unplug and plug in again ....
8 REPLIES 8
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor
Solution

You don't really use it ROMMON...

You simply insert the USB flash drive and access it via "dir" or 'copy run usb', etc. at regular switch prompt (exec or privexec).

The switch code release notes do a good job of describing more commands for its use, etc.

I have had a few (very few) flash drives not work.

Get this CLI ref guide, it shows how to configure HP ProVision, HP Comware5 and Cisco switches for lots of different functions, in a side-by-side comparison, so if you know one CLI, you see how to do it in a different CLI:
http://h10144.www1.hp.com/docs/training/HP-Networking-and-Cisco-CLI-Reference-Guide_June_10_WW_Eng_ltr.pdf

chapters 1,3,4 in this CLI guide have info about using the usb.

hth...Jeff
Marco A.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, I know how to manage the system files with usb, etc, but what I need to do now is format the USB, or delete its files.

You will say ... ehmmm why you don't simply plug it into your pc's USB and do it there..., the switch is in a remote location with really limited access for the people there. So I want to save a LOT of time by trying this, I also saw the format command in ROM but ...I don't know how to use it, as well as the mount.

Thanks,
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

Sorry, didn't know it was remote.

From the manual:
"Operating rules and restrictions on USB usage are:
├в   Unformatted USB flash drives must first be formatted on a PC (Windows FAT format). For devices with multiple partitions, only the first partition is supported. Devices with secure partitions are not supported."

I've not looked at the low-level possibilities, but I have always been told the drive must be formatted like the docs say.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Marco A.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, actually the USB is formatted, but with now it does contain data, that's what I want to remove.. =(
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

Opps, I didn't read carefully about deleting files...

No regular command available...only 'copy'..

Its mainly used for "putting" and "getting" not formatting or deleting...

I'm still no help...sorry...
Marco A.
Esteemed Contributor

I got it...

From ROM you can perform those actions, you can "format cf" for the system flash, or "format usb" for usb ... so, now it is documented here !
Marco A.
Esteemed Contributor

done !
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

Awesome, thanx for the info!