108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant Network Load Balancing

SOLVED
Go to solution
Darren Etheridge_2
Super Advisor

Proliant Network Load Balancing

I have a DL380 Server that I have teamed the NICS with using the Automatic Team type and Automatic Load Balancing Method.

I also have it connected to a Procurve 5308xl switch with no teaming selected on the ports (it seems to be auto teaming using 802.3ad) because it shows Dyn2 on both ports.

I want to set it up the best way for redundency and thruput, is this the best way or should I not use the Automatic features on the software teaming and hard set the switch.

THe switch shows the team Dyn2 and a show lacp shows the ports are passive.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

(this is a SQL 2005 box and the switch does not have Span Tree turned on)
5 REPLIES 5
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

I will recommend to manually create the lacp channel on the switch and then use the team on automatic mode, it should go to LACP mode(802.3ad), then you will get 2Gb tx/rx.

trunk trk# lacp

lmm
Darren Etheridge_2
Super Advisor

I tried doing this last night but it said I couldn't add the LACP trunk because there was an exising one. Do I need to unteam the nics on the Proliant, trunk the Procurve with LACP then re-team the nics?

D
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

You need to remove the dynamic channel, you can do it by diabling LACP on each interface on the existing dyn trunk on the switch, then create the LACP channel and finally team the NICs again.

# no int lacp
Darren Etheridge_2
Super Advisor

So just so I'm thinking correctly, it is better to have the LACP ACTIVE on the switch and not PASSIVE on the switch?

Right now it's using LACP but in PASSIVE mode.

Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

Teaming will actively try to create a LACP channel as the first choice, therefore both active or passive will work.