108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proxim/Orinoco b/g on AP 520wl?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brann Mitchell
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I am the master of the obtuse reply... on the 2800-8PWR. The wi-fi project I've been tasked with is to install 13 AP's in the plenums across 8 floors. I should make a different thread for this though.

But, the big question I had with the AP's is how to power cycle them without leaving the comfort of my chair.

I've busted out the tools... and you're right, the layout is different, but it looks to me like they have the same chip counts. The two versions of the 520wl I've got are 0A and the other is 0B. Neither of them work with the PoE splitter. The 0A has 'SPIN REV : A2' on the PCB, and the 0B 'SPIN REV : A5_A'. The 0B rev takes just under forever+day to reboot, and the 0A just under 45 seconds.

It would be very interesting if somebody has an AP-2000 AE version to compare...
Travis Truax
Advisor

The 520wl units we have are 'SPIN REV : A2', but the proxims are 35 feet up on the warehouse ceiling, so they're a bit too much hassle to look at... :)
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

I came across this today, looks like the 520's are pre-standard.... anyone want to take a chance and buy one of these splitters?

http://www.powerdsine.com/Support/Certification/product.asp?company=HP&PDModel=WL520
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

It looks that this one actually has its own power supply, so I think it would still be difficult to remotely power cycle one.... at least you wouldn't have to get up to wherever the AP is though.
Brann Mitchell
Occasional Advisor

Hey, good find! I don't know exactly what the 'pre-standard' means. I do know that the 2600-8PWR also does 'pre-standard' but I was informed this is so that it can power Cisco AP's? I also wonder where the intelligence is, in the switch or in the splitter?

The PoE splitter I got off eBay for the AP-2000, which didn't work for the 520wl, are also 'approval pending standard', so I'm guessing that means proprietary or pre-standard.