5235 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Q-in-Q or L2TP... what do I need?

rdy2go
Occasional Collector

Q-in-Q or L2TP... what do I need?

Background:
Have a 10 Mb (7 bonded T1s) point to point circuit currently. Using VLAN tagging I'm using the same VLANs between the two sites. This works fine, no problems.

New Issue:
Upgrading to a 100 Mb point to point circuit. This new circuit will also allow for VLAN tagging but we are limited to 50 MAC addresses with the carrier. The 10 Mb circuit never had this limitation. What do you recommend as a method to continue using the same VLANs between the two sites but not exceed the 50 MAC limit to the carrier?

From my research I think I need some sort of layer 2 tunnel. The switching I have in place (5406zl and 2910al) doesn't support this. I was thinking I need to hang routers off the switching on both sides and do a L2TP tunnel. Would this "hide" the MAC addressing while still allowing me to extend the VLANs between the sites?

2 REPLIES 2
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Re: Q-in-Q or L2TP... what do I need?

QinQ wont hide any mac addresses, but L2TP would.

Really, cant you talk to the carrier about the 50 MAC limit? Are we back to the '90s? :D
---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

rdy2go
Occasional Collector

Re: Q-in-Q or L2TP... what do I need?

We can pay to have it up'd to 100-200. But we go across the PtP for a lot of stuff so those MACs would still get full. I'd need something more like 500-1000 and they said ithat's not possible. They (AT&T) does have a new circuit type that doesn't have this limit, of course it's more expensive and takes 3 months to get installed.