108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

QOS for Avaya VOIP on 5400vl

BastiaanvH
Occasional Contributor

QOS for Avaya VOIP on 5400vl

Hi,

Situation:
We have a 5400vl as core switch, and several 2650 in various branch offices connected thru GBIC LX fiber.

The Avaya IP 500 VOIP is conencted on the 5400vl on port E-01

We have 100 softphone's installed on the workstations (Windows XP SP2). Both VOIP and data traffic is coming from the NIC of the workstation connected to the 5400vl switch, and about 50 softpgones spread out on the branch offices on 2650 switches.

We have 10 Avaya hardphone's. Connected with his own interface to the 5400vl switch.

All ports are still on the default VLAN-1. No Qos configured.

Goal:
I need to Qos the VOIP traffic. Organisation wide.

What to do?:
I'm confused what method to take because of the use of the softphone's. I can not pull them in a diffrent VOIP VLAN, as i would Qos the workstation data traffic to. Also, IP Qos is not advisable because of the same reason.

Can someone point me out in the right direction. Maybe some configuration tips/considerations.

Thank you in advance,
Bastiaan.
4 REPLIES 4
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: QOS for Avaya VOIP on 5400vl

For softphones, you will need to apply QoS either on the TCP/UDP in use by the application, or if the software uses a ToS or DSCP codepoint you could apply QoS based on these values too.

If you haven't done so already, check the Advanced Traffic Management guide for more information on configuring QoS, and possibly check with Avaya on what ports or codepoints you need to prioritise.
BastiaanvH
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

We have set the DSCP value of conforming packets / Guarenteed service type to 46. This is recommended by Avaya.

Do I need something to prioritize this on the 5400vl switch?

Thank you,

Bastiaan.

Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

DSCP 46 (decimal) is equivalent to DSCP Policy 101110 (binary) which is already set to Priority 7 on ProCurve switches. All you need to do to enable it is type 'qos type-of-service diff-services'.

Don't forget to assign points to posts that help you here.
BastiaanvH
Occasional Contributor

Ah, ok great. Thanks.

I have enabled the DiffServ already so thats fine.

So can I leave the the workstations with softphone installed on the default VLAN 1? Should I enable the VOICE option on this VLAN?
Do i still need to enable QoS on certain UDP/TCP ports for Avaya VOIP?

I will configure a different VLAN for the Hardphones, en then QoS the VLAN ID. Or is it better to fetch all in one VLAN and prioritize the certain UDP/TCP ports?

Thank you,

Bastiaan.