Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QinQ and Switch Management Question

Mike Haran
Occasional Contributor

QinQ and Switch Management Question

Hi,

I'm fairly new to procurves so apologies if this may be a fairly basic question.

I have two 5400ZL switches linked together via a 10GB Fibre connection. The switches have a premium license and they will be used as a delivery method for customer connections and so the 10Gbase ports will be configured as QinQ ports.

My question is, how can the switches be managed over the same QinQ port? I don't believe there is any way to apply an IP address to an SVLAN for connection to the far end switch and so my option would be to configure a CVLAN for management but how can the far end switch be contacted if CVLAN's can be attached to a QinQ port?
3 REPLIES
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

Re: QinQ and Switch Management Question

Hi,

I haven't had much experience with QinQ so I can't answer your question directly but I do believe if you're using QinQ in svlan mode (i.e. not mixed vlan mode) you can assign an address to an svlan.
Mike Haran
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Mohammed. I was in mixed mode not SVLAN mode. This is working fine since I changed to SVLAN.

Thanks
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

Glad to see it's working.
I really can't see what you would do if you wanted to operate in mixed-mode.
If anyone has an answer to that particular problem I'd be interested to hear it!