8184 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

QinQ and Switch Management Question

Mike Haran
Occasional Contributor

QinQ and Switch Management Question

Hi,

I'm fairly new to procurves so apologies if this may be a fairly basic question.

I have two 5400ZL switches linked together via a 10GB Fibre connection. The switches have a premium license and they will be used as a delivery method for customer connections and so the 10Gbase ports will be configured as QinQ ports.

My question is, how can the switches be managed over the same QinQ port? I don't believe there is any way to apply an IP address to an SVLAN for connection to the far end switch and so my option would be to configure a CVLAN for management but how can the far end switch be contacted if CVLAN's can be attached to a QinQ port?
3 REPLIES 3
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

Re: QinQ and Switch Management Question

Hi,

I haven't had much experience with QinQ so I can't answer your question directly but I do believe if you're using QinQ in svlan mode (i.e. not mixed vlan mode) you can assign an address to an svlan.
Mike Haran
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Mohammed. I was in mixed mode not SVLAN mode. This is working fine since I changed to SVLAN.

Thanks
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

Glad to see it's working.
I really can't see what you would do if you wanted to operate in mixed-mode.
If anyone has an answer to that particular problem I'd be interested to hear it!