1753532 Members
5729 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Question about a 2848 from a dumb cisco guy

andrewT_2

Question about a 2848 from a dumb cisco guy

Hello.

I have been asked to put a design together at minimal cost (as usual). One of the options is using the existing kit (the default - something for nothing)

My client has all layer 2 devices (some 2848's), with edge routers managed by another party for their default gateway.

I need to split and route the local networks to create some topology between users and servers. My question is, if I use the 3rd party routers to build the connection, does the 2848 have a CAM table or FIB clever enough to be able to layer 3 switch and forward packets between VLAN's once the path has been built (ie after the first packet has been passed) or would all traffic end up at the router?

Please forgive my ignorance on procurves. I gained a client who wanted cisco firewall management, but now they want their LAN supported.

3 REPLIES 3
andrewT_2

Re: Question about a 2848 from a dumb cisco guy

I should probably hasten to add.

I am planning to use the 3rd party routers as the default gateway for both networks because the 2848's do not seem to support any type of router redundancy protocol (VRRP etc)
Shayne Heidemann
Regular Advisor

Hi.

The 2848 does have some layer 3 capabilitities, particularly 16 static routes and VLAN routing. I don't know if that will help in this situation though.

I assume you will be using (or attempting to use) MPLS, at this stage the ProCurve's don't support it and you will have the routers forwarded all traffic.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

>>> does the 2848 have a CAM table or FIB clever enough to be able to layer 3 switch and forward packets between VLAN's once the path has been built (ie after the first packet has been passed <<<
the packets are directed to the router!
so the switch will not "intercept" by itself and play router for these packets.

I don't know if this will work with the 2848's only handling static routes.
You may play with routing costs.
if the external router is configured as default gateway, but it knows the switch as an alternative router with lower costs to a certain subnet, it may send an "ICMP redirect" to the sender so this will use the switch as router for subsequent packets.

Pieter