1753856 Members
6923 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: (R)STP Point to Point Question

Erik Ibsen
Occasional Contributor

(R)STP Point to Point Question

Hi, we're having a little office argument over how the point to point in spanning tree should be set up with regards to different equipment. From what I understand it should be set up as 'force true' when the port connects to anything with a single mac address (such as a workstation) and to 'force false' when connected to other networking equipment (such as a hub). Now as I understand it when a port on a switch is connected to a hub, it can see all the mac addresses of equipment plugged into that hub. But what if the port on the switch was connected to a port on another switch (for instance, 2 2524's connected to each other both using port 24)? Does the segmented nature of a switch require a port setting of 'force true' since each port would only have a single mac address atached? Or should they be set to 'force false' for some other reason I am not aware of? Thanks for any replies.
2 REPLIES 2
Domenico Viggiani
Super Advisor

From documentation, I understand that switches and workstations require a port setting of 'force true', only hubs require 'force false'.
Erik Ibsen
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, that's what I figured. The documentation I have isn't entirely clear, and the help prompt in the switch mentions 'force false' should be used on switches and hubs, which doesn't make sense. What documentation are you using?