Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752786 Members
6029 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Random loss of management of 2848

Steven Anderson_6

Random loss of management of 2848

Wondering if anyone has any insight into a strange problem we've been having. We've got a
teaching lab with 33 Gateway systems with gigabit ethernet cards. Our 2848 that connects these systems is monitored remotely by IP address. It periodically stops responding to pings, but during those times switch appears to be passing traffic normally.
We're on 7.61 firmware and the chassis has been replaced once but symptoms continue. The
uplink is set for 1000 auto as is the port it connects to on the next level switch, an HP 6108. If left in this state long enough, switch will eventually stop passing traffic and need a reboot which will restore function until next episode. Thanks in advance for any insight.
3 REPLIES 3
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Random loss of management of 2848

Steven,

You state that it does not alway's responds to ping, but is it popssible to telnet or HTTP to the 2800? If yes, then the switch behaves normal. The ping to the switch itself is irrelevant to the switch and if it needs to priorotize traffic over the switch it will dissregard the pings.
Does the ping over the switch, from client to client, suffer the same loss or is that continious?
Does the 2800 or the 6100 need a reboot? What can you see in the "show tech all"? And do you see the same problem when the links are set to AUTO?

Regards,

SCOOTER
Steven Anderson_6

Scooter, I could see the switch prioritizing
traffic and ignoring pings if it was transient. But once it's stopped responding it never starts again. You can't establish a telnet or html connection with it either. Often a group of ports will just stop responding as well, the switch doesn't even report a link. I have only reset the 2848 not the 6108 as it has several of these switches connected to them and while they're all doing some strange things, this is the only one that drops and with the problems I see within the lab, it seems to be confined to the 2848. Traffic passes normally from the PC's in the lab however, html and pings to other IP's outside the building work fine from them. I have a hard time getting good show tech information as people routinely power cycle it at the hint of trouble, but the only thing that I've seen is ports, usually 25-48 start missing counts due to out of packet buffers. I haven't tried full auto on the 2 sides of the connection because if there's a mismatch it just kills lab performance. Thanks for the response, if this gives you any insight I'd be happy to get it as this one's got me scratching my head.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

I've attached the .pdf with release notes for I.07.61 for 2848. Read "QoS pass-through mode", page 14. It may help you.