4336 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Rapid Spanning Tree crashing 2650's

Tony Sweet
Occasional Contributor

Rapid Spanning Tree crashing 2650's

Hi

We have a procurve LAN consisting of 3 x 8212's, several 5400's and 5300, and several hundred 2650's and 2610's.

Recently we have had several incidents whereby the installation of a new 2610's, along with a resilient link has caused an extended spanning tree reconvergence causing many 2650's to crash with the Software exception at alloc_free.c:374 -- in 'mRstpCtrl', task ID = 0x179e088
-> No msg buffer error.

Has anyone else come across ths issue? generall spanning tree is normally very stable.
3 REPLIES 3
Tijl van der Steeg
Valued Contributor

I had this issue before, are you running the latest firmware?

In my case this did not solve the issue and I had to implement bpdu-filtering. If you're in a relatively static environment that's not an issue
Tony Sweet
Occasional Contributor

Hi

All the 2650's are running at the latest firmware version. We have used bpdu filtering in the past to segment the spanning tree and this does stop local incidents affectiung the while network. However it would be nice to know what causes the problem in the 1st place. It only really seems to have started since we've introduced 2610's into the network.
Jacob Hopkins

I had a single 2650, out of dozens of such 2650's with comparable configurations, begin rebooting on spanning-tree changes. During the troubleshooting I was provided with a newer firmware that was supposed to fix it.

In my case it did not stop the rebooting and we proceeded with a warranty replacement. The crash was "PPC Bus Error exception vector 0x300"...

I suggest opening a support ticket if you haven't already.