Did you mean: 

Redundant management modules

SOLVED
Go to solution
Domenico Viggiani
Super Advisor

Redundant management modules

Hi,
I have a HP Procurve 9308 routing switch with one J4857A mini-GBIC management module.
Now I'd like to have a redundant configuration.
What kind of module can I use together with J4857A?
Another J4857A? A 10 GbE module (J8174A)?
What firmware revision do I need?

Thank you in advance
Domenico Viggiani
3 REPLIES

Re: Redundant management modules

Hi,
asking to yours:
1. Secure the config file: [ copy startup tftp [IP ADDRESS from TFTP server/client] path: \ filename.txt ]
2. You can use only a second J4857A.
3. Two management modules are required to use modules (J8174A) around a 10 GbE.
4. The current firmware is: http://www.hp.com/rnd/software/h2r07604.htm

see for secondary explanations:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/59906028-e1.pdf

I hope for it helps you.
Klaus horlbeck
Gonzo Granello
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi,

the previous post is not entirely correct: in order to run redundand mgmt modules, you need indeed two J4857's. However, if you wish to a 10Gig module, you can run this with just one mgmt module unless you need the redundancy. The 10Gig module requires 07.6.04 code which is indeed on our website. To run this code (assuming you use older code right now) you will have to upgrade the Boot Code first and then the Firmware. The correct bootcode is included in the download package. It is imperative to use the new Boot Code since the older version cannot decompress the 07.6.04 firmware file and will not boot the router. My preffered way of preparing the box would be to ensure both managment modules have the same boot code, firmware and configuration and then, after making sure they both run independend, to join them in the chassis. Ideally they should use slot 1 and 2 (from left to right) and slot one should be taking over as the active management module. The Gbic ports can be used on both management modules. Hope that helps!

Andreas Koertel
ProCurve Technical Marketing
L3 Switches and Routers
Wireless Security
most time the day i have to mask my contempt for the a-holes in charge......
Domenico Viggiani
Super Advisor

OK, thank you.
I ordered a J4857A, then I will proceed to line up boot/firmware code as you suggested.