1753496 Members
4244 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Remote Connectivity to OpenVMS Systems

Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Remote Connectivity to OpenVMS Systems

We are a global team (based in Europe, Asia and other places) trying to access servers in our data centers in US.
Currently we log into our local n/w's and use VPN services to connect to our data centers in US.
I am looking for an alternative solution without incuring any costs or atleast very little cost to connect to these
data centers.

I am sure, this information may not be enough, but please ask me if you need any additional information. I would be glad to furnish the same.

Thanks for your time folks

rgds
Mobeen
3 REPLIES 3
Terhorst
Trusted Contributor

Re: Remote Connectivity to OpenVMS Systems

Hi Mobeen,

A VPN solutions looks very convennient because you'll have IP connectivity in a secure way. Other ways could be for instance Citrix Terminal Server (again with VPN?) or HTTPS and SSL. What kind of access do you need?

Regards,
Alexander
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Alexander,
Thanks for your response. As i mentioned in my question above. I already have a VPN solution in place. I am looking for an alternate connectivity to my data centers that will serve as backup for the existing VPN solution

regards
Mobeen
Sergej Gurenko
Trusted Contributor

If you need a backup connection to text only Unix consoles you can use some kind of "reverse telnet" solution. On the one end you have tennet or modem connection. On the other you have several COM port connections. You can telnet/dialin to the AccessServer, and from there reverse telent to the unix server COM port. This will ensure 100% up connectivity. Even if the server have no IP or network is down.

You can find used (~$400) or new (~1500$) HP-Compaq-DEC solution "DECserver 90M"

You can build even better solution with used Cisco 2511 router(~$400). There is some info in the internet. Sample here (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_configuration_example09186a008014f8e7.shtml)