1745851 Members
4074 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Remotely enabling IP routing

mlrtime99
Occasional Contributor

Remotely enabling IP routing

I've tried this several times but there's something I'm missing. All of my vlans have an IP address in different subnets. Right now vlan 1 is still the vlan I'm using to remotely access the switch. show ip route shows a default route out through vlan 1 to the FW x.x.x.1 which I set with the default route command.

I know I did this in reverse order but I'm trying not to disconnect myself;

1) config within vlan 1 - ip rip
2) config globally - ip routing
*right here is where I lose connection, any suggestions?
4 REPLIES 4
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

Re: Remotely enabling IP routing

Hi,

How is the routing setup on the firewall? Do you need to enable RIP within VLAN 1? (I was going to ask something else but you haven't mentioned what device you're using :) )
mlrtime99
Occasional Contributor

These are 5412s, right now the firewall is only aware of the vlan 1 network 192.168.48.x which is the way I'd like to keep it until we migrate to the new FW's. If the firewall has the route back to vlan 1 I should only need to worry about ip routing on the switch. This is where I'm stuck. My backup plan is a perfect config loaded into the startup config of the switch and a reload. The problem is if anything is wrong with this config it will continue loading it and I'd need a local resource to change this.
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

Ok, so I'm not sure what enabling RIP on just VLAN 1 would do (rather than at a global level) but I think one issue would be that RIP doesn't appear to redistribute connected or static routes by default so you may want to add that in.
When you enable rip in vlan 1 what output do you get on a "show ip rip" command?
mlrtime99
Occasional Contributor

AHA!

What a funky little box these are. Oddly enough after losing remote connection to the box after enabling ip routing I was able to bounce telnet back in from a neighbor switch.

So 2 switches in China, .1 and .2 we'll say. I enabled ip routing on .1, lost remote telnet. I could telnet into .2 since it was upstream and then telnet back into .1

It shouldn't work but it does, just posting my work around for future reference