Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752796 Members
5909 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remove VLANs on 4000m (4 switches on Network)

Susan M. Beebe

Remove VLANs on 4000m (4 switches on Network)

I've got a multi-site network with multiple HP ProCurve 4000m Switches and I want to ** remove all of the VLANs ** off of our network.

We've got two networks (2 separate campuses) that are routed by 2 Cisco 2620 Rourters over a private T-1 line.

I plan on going from static IPs to DHCP, so I will also need to widen our subnet mask from 255.255.255.0 --> 255.255.0.0.

I need help figuring this all out.

First, i want to change the subnet mask, so the DHCP part will work (Windows Server will manage DHCP services).

Next, i'd like to remove the VLANS so the network is all one big network.

I know the Cisco Routers also have VLAN ACLs on them. I will need to remove the info, or at least change the gateway IP.

I need specific examples of how to implement this as i am new to this concept.

Also, I currently modify the HP ProCurve 4000m switches (we have 4 total) via the web browser interface, however i am not sure how i will do this once the VLANs are removed.
For example, I access the configuration web page by typing in http:\\192.168.x.2 (x = the VLAN segment IP), such as 192.168.4.2 for the "4" VLAN, and 192.168.5.2 for the "5" VLAN.

Once the VLANs are gone, HOW DO I ACCESS THE WEB CONFIGURATION PAGE??

--> What is 4000m's the default web browswer interface (i.e. configuration web page)?

So, i need specific details on how to remove all the VLANs (HP configs & Cisco) and also how to access the HP 4000m config. web page once the VLANs are gone.

Thanks!
Susan

5 REPLIES 5
siddhartha_chadda

you can telnet into the switch to remove vlan's. you will need to create your larger vlan first. assign all ports to the new vlan then remove the old vlan. make sure your telnet session is not on the vlan you are removing.
Susan M. Beebe

Thanks for your quick reply. See reply below

On Dec 19, 2005 07:27:38 GMT, you wrote
"you can telnet into the switch to remove vlan's. you will need to create your larger vlan first. assign all ports to the new vlan then remove the old vlan. make sure your telnet session is not on the vlan you are removing."
---------------------------------------------

I've done some research on HP's website and the VLANS are easy to remove via the web interface. Once they are removed, then all the ports are dumped into the "Default_VLAN" and then the switch's IP traffic becomes 1 big broadcast.

I am still wanting to know what do i need to do to make the HP 4000m recognize the new Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0 (new).

AND most importantly ;-)

How do i access the web interface once the VLANs are gone?

--> What's the default IP address for the 4000m switch.

Thanks!
Susan
Hugo Tigre
Trusted Contributor

hi Susan M. Beebe:

if you really want to remove the vlans, u can just deleted them, and like you said the ports will converted to the "default vlan"

this default vlan already has an ip and subnet mask (static or dynamic), it will not change after you remove the vlans, however if you are connected to the switch trough a port that's not inicialy on the default vlan, then u will loose connectivity.

so connect to the switch through the default vlan, remove the other vlans and then if you want u can change the ip address of the switch and the subnetmask to your desire.

to change ip/subnetmask you'l have to connect through telnet or ssh and once you change this, you'l loose connectivity, just remember the new switch ip/mask and you can loggin again using the new config.

i'm not currently using that particular switch, but the easyest way for you to do that, will be to connect through telnet, and enter the menu (if not already), just type "menu" for this;
than choose "switch configuration" -> "ip configuration"

the switch menu is preaty easy to work and understand, and will have more control over the option than u do with http client

switch control modes:
CLI- u can do almost anything to the switch, but no so good for troubleshooting and log monotoring
CLI Menu - u can't do everything like in the CLI but is easyer to work and better for monitoring
Web interface - the options r very limited, but is the easyest interface, and the best for monitoring.

if you wich to reset the switch to the default, i'll advise downloading the manual from hp site, and follow the intructions.

regards,
hugo
Susan M. Beebe

Thanks Hugo for the nice, detailed reply... with good instructions.

Ok, so i've gotta telnet in, i've done that on my Ciscos and Adtrans, so this is something i should be able to do.

--> What IP address do i use to telnet to the 4000m? I am assuming i use the Default_VLAN IP?? right/wrong??????

--> What is the default username/password?
I know we have no passwords set on the web interface.

Can i change the IP/mask on the web interface, then just re-log into the web interface with the new IP address? In other words, do i absolutely have to use telnet??
I like the web interface - it's easy to use.
thanks,
Susan
Hugo Tigre
Trusted Contributor

like i said the menu interface through telnet is very easy to use, so don't be afraid to use it, u will gain alot more control over your switch

i'm not shure about that particular switch, but u shoudn't be able to change the ip through the web interface, u will have to change it using telnet, but u can always look through the available menus in the web interface, there aren't that many.

to find out the ip address of your switch, assuming this information is not available in the web interface, u can access the switch through the COM port, u can use windows HyperTerminal for this. you'l get access the the CLI and the Menu.

The web interface probably has no password because u have limited access, to get full access to the switch u'l need the enable password, and if this was not changed it's probably "admin".

To get all this information u can download the switch manual, try looking here

http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/index.htm

this information is normally in the beggining of the manual, including default password.

hugo