New Discussion юеВ

Request Timed out

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael_373
Advisor

Request Timed out

Hi all,
I have 7 5308xl switches in 2 building. We are using meshing for the 3 main switches and truncking on the rest. I am trying to ping a server in another building and at a certain point, I get a request time out at every 10 or 15 pings. It can go 50 pings without a problem, and then oups, request timed out.

Anyone know where I should look? I have checked everything and I have also updated my firmware to 8.01.

Thanks all,

Michael
15 REPLIES 15
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Request Timed out

Hi Michael,

A few questions I have. You mentioned that you are using Mesh to interconnect the 7 x 5308xl. How many of these 7 are actually in the mesh domain? What speed are these links? 100 or 1000mbps? Would it be possible for you to draw us a diagram?
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
Michael_373
Advisor

here is the plan... the problem is when I go from 01swt101/102 to 01swt106/107/108.

Hope you understand the diagram... it's very detailed..

Yhanks again
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Do you have STP/RSTP/MSTP turned on?

I've encountered both bad fiber jumpers and/or bad ports on the FCB that have led to similar symptoms. Have you checked end to end optical signal strength?

What GBICs are you using? SX, LX or LH? Are they nailed down to 1000fdx or Auto?

Where is the pinger and where is the pingee?

Trunk mismatch. Do you have the same trunking protocol set up on both ends? Static? PAgP/FEC? LACP?
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
Michael_373
Advisor

We are using STP.

I haven't checked the signal yet...

The GBIC's are LX and they are all pinned down to 1000Fdx.

We are pinging from 01swt101 to 01swt106/107/108

For the trunks, we are using Static for all of them.

Hope this helps...

Michael
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

I would really check the fiber path. Also try this. Increase the ping packet size starting at 32 (default) and eventually moving up to 3200. See how that affects the drop rate. It'll give you a good clue as to whether the fiber path is a candidate for suspicion.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

I had a similar problem with a PC hooked to a switch through a 110-meter horizontal UTP cable. It all went away after replacing the horizontal cable with a 90-meter one.

The symptom pops up when you try to ping the server from any location (server cable)? Or only from one location (cable to that location)?

Ethernet specs (including FastEthernet) require maximum 100 meters between PC's NIC and switch port.
Michael_373
Advisor

I just had the fiber checks and all is 100 % ok.
I had another question, In the STP configuration, the switch priority is set at 32768 for all switches. Are they supposed to be at a different priority?

Thanks again.
The Real MD
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately I cant open the visio diagram, but is it possible you can run multiple traceroutes to see if there is any deviation in its route.

Regards

~Martin.

PS. dont forget to allocate points
Michael_373
Advisor

how do I run multiple traceroutes? I tried and it's pretty direct from point A to point B.