5238 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Reservation of 10.x.x.x Ip adresses

Stiwi Wondrusch
Trusted Contributor

Reservation of 10.x.x.x Ip adresses

Hi all

I have a device where you have to configure its own IP adress. The description says:
IP address restriction: IP addresses 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255 are not supported!

All our internal networks are in this range. RFC 1918 defines them as private.

Is this restriction "legal"?

thx & rgds
Stiwi
5 REPLIES 5
Evert Goor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Reservation of 10.x.x.x Ip adresses

Could you tell us what kind of device your talking about.
Stiwi Wondrusch
Trusted Contributor

Hi

Its the management port of a storage device.

rgds Stiwi
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

Specifically, what device is this? At the very least, I'd like to know so I can avoid purchasing such a unit in the future....
Stiwi Wondrusch
Trusted Contributor

Hi Alan
So you dont see any hard facts we could argue against the vendor that he adds support for 10.x.x.x?
The only solution is "not buying"?
rgds Stiwi
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

Knocking out a class A (and an RFC1918 one at that) is a pretty good reason all by itself. Making the effort to tamper with the 1st address bit by killing a specific portion of the 2nd address bit is pretty stupid. A company reducing its target market to folks that can afford large numbers of "real" addresses is another stupidity.

I guess I could play devil's advocate and say that accommodating a 255.0.0.0 range could play havoc with onboard memory. I've had that happen on a couple of SuSE DHCP boxes I've built. The fix was to reduce the range a notch or two. But I truly doubt in your case that working netmask is much bigger than 255.255.254.o in any case anyhow.

Of course, you could always fake it by sticking a $40 Linksys NAT in front of the management port -- but why bother? Surely, there must be a manufacturer of whatever it is you are trying to use that can accommodate your network.