New Discussion юеВ

Reset PW on Catalyst 3500XL

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marc Villeneuve_1
Regular Advisor

Reset PW on Catalyst 3500XL

Hi.
I have an old switch Catalyst 3500XL from Cisco and I dont remember the password. I have tried to go in the switch with the consol port but didnt succed. I am not a Cisco pro...

Is there a way to reset the switch? This switch is not in production, so i can do whatever i want on it. And trowing it by the window can be done too!

Tx
Marc
6 REPLIES 6
Marc Villeneuve_1
Regular Advisor

Re: Reset PW on Catalyst 3500XL

I have found the IP adress with network sniffer and now I can do telnet session. But I dont have the admin user so I cant change the setup.

I Still need to know how to reset the PW.

Marc
Arnaud_9
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi Marc,
On most of Cisco Devices, the password can recovered with the console port, but you need to restart the device.
Look at this Cisco URL :
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_2900xl.html
It should help you.

Arnaud
Marc Villeneuve_1
Regular Advisor

mmm, I have tried to connect to the switch using the consol port, but its not working. I have folow the link you gave me and the setup not working. I have tried twice... maybe the consol port is broken...

Marc
Arnaud_9
Valued Contributor

Hi Mark, you said :
> I have tried to connect to the switch using the consol port, but its not working.

When you reload electricaly the switch, is there any character displayed on the terminal ?
(Assuming serial port config are ok and working with another device)

If there are characters, when the switch is up, if you hit Enter one or more time, is the switch take care of it ?

If the console stay blank, you may be right, the consol port could be broken.

If the console is working, retry step by step the link page, it is working, I've already use it on a Cat 3548 and a Cat 2924.

Arnaud
Marc Villeneuve_1
Regular Advisor

Hi.
I follow the instruction from the site you gave me. I have tried with 2 different computer and still not working.

When I power on the switch, nothing show up in the terminal. I push Enter serveral of time and still nothing.

I will try to get an other connexion kit (cable and Serial connection). At least I will have done every things befor sending this to garbage or stock room.

Tx for help
Marc Villeneuve_1
Regular Advisor

Hi.
I follow the instruction from the site you gave me. I have tried with 2 different computer and still not working.

When I power on the switch, nothing show up in the terminal. I push Enter serveral of time and still nothing.

I will try to get an other connexion kit (cable and Serial connection). At least I will have done every things befor sending this to garbage or stock room.

Tx for help
Marc