Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752795 Members
6458 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Reusable Gigabit-SX-LC Mini-GBIC (J4858A)

Maxim_18
Occasional Advisor

Reusable Gigabit-SX-LC Mini-GBIC (J4858A)

I have huge amount of ProCurve Gigabit-SX-LC Mini-GBIC (J4858A) GBICs.
May I use them in ProCurve Switch 8108fl (J8727A) or ProCurve Switch Switch 3400cl-24G (J4905A)?
Due to the information on HP web site I have no such possibility
10 REPLIES 10
Miika T
Valued Contributor

Atleast 3400cl currently uses J4858B, which is the never revision of the MiniGBIC you have. So far Procurve minigbic's have been interopererable between the Procurve product range.

The event log will tell you immidiately, if the minigbic is rejected, which I doubt will not happen in this case.

-Miika
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Hello Maxim,

Please enlighten me, why do I not believe your story?
If you are familiar with the 8108fl then you would know what kind of G-Bics it takes and what not.
Where did you get the huge amount from and what do you call a huge amount?

Best Regards,

SCOOTER
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

I hope you didn't get a bunch of countefeit GBICs on eBay. I am not familiar with the 8108fl and if newer code looks for and disables counterfeits. HP came out the B version in response to the counterfeiting.

I guess the easiest way to tell is to plug them in and check the log.

Good luck
Maxim_18
Occasional Advisor

2 Scooter.
Please read my question twice and even more until you'll understand it.
Post your comments only after this.
For those, who can`t understand even after careful reading I will ask my question again.

Are OLD GBICs J8727A reusable in 8108fl or 3400?

2 Les Ligetfalvy
It's good advice. But I haven't 8108 near me.

Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

For the 8100 The mini-GBIC module only supports authentic ProCurve B-version miniGBICs.
Mike Satterfield
Occasional Advisor

Maxim,

You would do well to note the caution these good people have expressed about the SX mini-GBICS. By the information you've provided about your mini-GBICs, no one in this forum can answer your question with certainty.

Maybe you could offer up some representative serial numbers. Still, I doubt you will receive a definitive answer.

Why don't you test it yourself and post the results? Be sure to test with different mini-GBIC serial ranges and chassis firmware versions including the most recent.

My post here is final on this topic and more for everyone reading. No Maxim -- I don't work for HP.
Maxim_18
Occasional Advisor

I had sent official query to HP Ukraine.
I will post reply from HP Ukraine here.
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Hello Maxim,

I do understand your question. On page http://www.hp.com/rnd/accessories/J8735A/accessory.htm it's stated what G-bics are supported for the 8100. But Matt already gave that answer.

The 3400 should take both A and B Gbics.

Why I was doubtfull is answered by reading Les' and Mike's comments. I have seen 2 Counterfeit Gbics and they were good and I mean very good replica's. They did work in my 2600 but after upgrading the firmware they did not and HP astablished they were counterfeit. Believe me I gave my reseller a hard time but it turned out his supplier messed up. The HP-rep I talked to had atleast seen 8 good made counterfeits...

Best Regards,

SCOOTER
Maxim_18
Occasional Advisor

Reply from HP Ukraine.

The 8100 only supports the new B models of miniGBICs.
On the 3400 you can still use the A models miniGBICs (and the B models
of course).