4916 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Router Access denied

Mr Possibility
Frequent Advisor

Router Access denied

Hi,

I just installed a modular access router 1760 using SDM. I have changed from the default username "cisco" to Administrator and the password from the default "cisco" to my chosen password with the ethernet IP changed from 10.10.10.1 to 192.168.0.75

I changed the PC IP to 192.168.0.18.

Connecting for further configuration is giving me "Not authourized " whenever I tried logging on with the new IP address , Username and password.

I will appreciate your urgent response because I will be deploying this router as a firewall between our network and the outside world.

How do I restore back to in other to use the SDM again. Am kind of stucked and time is ticking off

Help out

Regards

9 REPLIES 9
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

It appears that the 1760 uses the standard IOS.

I assume you can still log on with hyperterm when connected with the serial port cable that came with it to the console port?

Log on as usual (usually it goes directly to the > prompt so you just need to do

en
yourenablepassword

to get to the # prompt

and then you can do a

sh run

(just to see what you have)

conf t

username password privilege 15
ip http server

ip http authentication local

end
wr me

If you have Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting (AAA) configured, you can replace local with AAA, enable, or tacacs in the example command line above.

That should allow you to logon with a web browser. If you want to telnet in then you can do:

conf t
vty 0 4 (or what ever number you have on yours)
login
password
end
wr me

If that doesn't work you can send me a copy of your config (capture of the 'sh run' output) rkinner(at)att(dot)net.

Ron

Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

If you're running into trouble this early, perhaps you should call a consultant.

Does your 1760 have the IOS firewall feature set?
Mr Possibility
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for yur responses. Based on Ron's response: "It appears that the 1760 uses the standard IOS". The router actually came SDM enabled. I have connected using the default web enable IP address 10.10.10.1 on the Router ethernet interface in other to connect access the router form my Laptop(10.10.10.2).

I got the to the SDM interface. Changed the IP address on the router ethernet interface to 192.168.0.75 and my Laptop IP address to 192.168.0.18. Sequel to this modification, SDM. I got a prompt that I can now connect next time using https://192.168.0.75 to the router. It was when I tried connecting to the router that I was getting the error message "Not authorised"

What I what to do is how to default back to the former 10.10.10.1 with username "Cisco" and password cisco istead of the username I had configured

Thanks
Mr  Possibility
Advisor

Hi,
I connected as directed in your last respone and still could not have the access reqiured of me.

Atached is the trace using hyperterminal

The Hostname is shown first
Mr  Possibility
Advisor

Hi Ron Kinners,

I have found you information useful, I have reset the router. The current config register value is 0x142. I will appreciate I have tried to log on on my laptop to the router using the IP set for it 192.168.0.75 but it still not connecting . could it be as a result the config register 0x0 formerly set on the router?

Can you help look at this and tell me the way forword
Attached is the output from the router
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

It appears that you have not reset the config register to tell the router that you want it to load the startup-config file from memory - this will cause it to always start up in an out of box condition.

Have you noticed that the output from both of your "show run" commands lists the fast ethernet interface as having no ip address as well as shutdown?
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

Purely as an observation - are you sure that you want to continue posting the output from your router config attempts in an open forum?

You've already posted enough of your configuration that a would be hacker can retrieve your login and password - all he needs to know is your public ip and as soon as the router comes online .....

One more thing - you wouldn't happen to be in or around Pretoria by any chance?
Mr  Possibility
Advisor

Hi Earnest,

This router will is not the one the company is going to use. It is a test router connected to my laptop . I only need to get on hand experience before handling the real task in other to know what and how to get things running fast.

I appreciate your honest concern. Thank you
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

Perhaps you might like to consider some appropriate reading material in your quest for knowledge.

Most if not all of the Cisco IOS documentation and configuration guides are freely available on the Cisco website - I find them tedious reading, especially for one not versed in networking skills.

I think you will find Todd Lammle's CCNA Study Guide (Sybex, ISBN: 0782141676) will cover much of what you need to know. Pay close attention to the chapter on Access Control Lists as ACLs are the basis on which IOS firewalls are built.