108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Router for small wireless ISP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Superdust
Advisor

The network today is a flat switched layer 2 network with some vlans.

We have a sentral point with fibre uplink from internet.

From here we have seceral wimax senders hocked up, some directly via the switch, and some via point to point wireless bridges.

The coustomers is connected via wimax to ouer network.

The wimax subscriberunits is also in bridgemode, so the coustomers router etc gets the official IP adress.

The speed of the connection is set on the wimax base (1 or 2mbps).

So it`s a pretty dumb network....

The uplink to the internett is now about 80mbps

I`m locking to get a smarter use of the capacaty.

Basicly it`s about shaping traffic so that p2p (bittorrent, limewire etc) don`t use up all the bandwith. And getting voip a better deal :)

I relly need good tips and setup examples here, as I`m new to this.
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

I would really recommend you to go for a firewall, then you can have more control on your network and the traffic.

Example for that, is the Juniper SSG series, Netscreen ....

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Superdust
Advisor

All the coustomers have official IP adresses, and all ports available.
It needs to be that way, so I`m not closing any ports or something that I need a firewall for.
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Instead of "rate-limiting" the bad traffic, prioritize the "good" traffic like VOIP. If your Internet pipe is 80Mbit let's say for example you are seeing 70 % of this used by unwanted "peer-to-peer" traffic, why would you care unless you have an additional 50 % of traffic like VOIP that now drops packets. You would only care if "good" traffic doesn't make it through. This can be accomplished by using QoS for the good traffic. You could create 2 classes of traffic, one for good and one for bad traffic. You prioritize the good traffic so it could take up 80 % of your bandwidth (20 % for p-2-p so it doesn't starve). Your Internet pipe might always be utilized at 100% but this way you insure that the good traffic gets priority.
The general approach would be: Let customers use peer-to-peer applications if the bandwidth is available. In the case of congestion on the link to the Inernet, prioritize the good traffic using QoS. This is how most service providers implement "traffic control".
You can "mark" the packets as they come into our network, handle them accordingly in your backbone and then use those "markings" DSCP-codepoints, Diffserv or 802.1p tags to prioritize traffic going to the Internet.
Product-wise: Most of the managed ProCurve switches support QoS and so does the 7000dl router series.
Hope this helps.
Superdust
Advisor

Thank you Olaf.

Would the 2626m`S be effective enough to run QoS on my network, or will it slow things down?.

Out from the switches to the wireless bases I got 10-20mbit links to the wireless basestations.
Do I have to tell the switch how mutch bandwith each port (link) has available so that it can prioritize traffic?.

The bandwith should be shared by all these.
And also setup with QoS (so that the users behind the basestatin don`t use all the capacaty of the link to P2P).
The QoS should control both uplink and downlink.

The services I want to prioritize is 80 HTTP, 443 HTTPS and VOIP (any other suggestions?).
But I see different VOIP operators use different ports, right?. Thats a problem.
If i down prioritize some of the well known P2P ports and prioritize services like HTTP, how will the services that is not configured be prioritized?.

I`m new to this, so if you could give me some real world configuration examples and tips.

Superdust
Advisor

I tried to set the 2626 up with routing, some vlans etc, without qos.
After just a little while the switch slows down and almoast nothing gets through
Is this the limited routing capabilities you were talking about Matt, CPU utilization is about 80% when it happens.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

That sounds very much like the limitation of the 2600's routing capabilities unfortunately.
Superdust
Advisor

Ok...

Any budget switches that got god routing capabilities?.
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Many WISPs use microtik, pfsense or m0n0wall for routing/traffic shaping. I think you should stay with just VLANs on your switch and used one of the above to do traffic shaping. I use m0n0wall for my tiny little free hotspot network.