5554 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Routing Switch or Router

SOLVED
Go to solution

Ernest,

How about if each port was a seperate VLAN, would we be able to assign an IP address to each port and use the router to route between the vlan's?

If not is the only other solution a singluar port interface as of a WIC-1ENET, for each circuit?

Thanks all,for your replies

David H
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

I take that back - I've seen several conflicting documents on whether the WIC-4ESW does/does-not support layer3 switching - however I've just come across something else that says "The switch is a Layer2 Ethernet switch with Layer3 routing capability. (Layer 3 routing is forwarded to the host, and is not actually performed at the switch)"

My apologies for confusing the issue.
Einar_3
Advisor

If you're looking for a device for VLAN segmentation and inter-vlan routing, and only need ethernet interfaces, I would suggest a HP5300XL switch. This device is efficient for IP routing at wire-speed, and provides DHCP relay function and basic TCP/UDP access list filtering. This switch will also provide gigabit access for your servers, especially with the new modules. For routing of other protocols than TCP/IP and for more comprehensive security you might need a L4-switch like 9300. Keep also in mind the life-time warranty for HP5300 which you won't have for Cisco and HP9300

Einar

Ernest,

I agree with the confusing! The more you read, the more confusing it is. Do they mean it is layer 3 routing for the interface, or for each port? ? ?
It would be nice to have feedback from some one who has used the interface in anger.

Einar,

Thanks. I will look into the pricing for the HP5300.
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

David,

I'm not too sure how many ports you need but I like (and use a lot of) the 5308xl very much. It has 8 slots that you can populate with modules. The modules currently available are:

1) 24 port 10/100 TX
2) 4 port 10/100/1000 TX
3) 4 port mini-GBICs
4) 12 port MTRJ 100 FX

There's supposed to be a 16 port 10/100/1000 TX coming out soon. The mini-GBICs available are SX, LX and LH. HP consistently releases new firmwares for the 5300xl series that adds features.

It currently already have basic routing (static, RIP, OSPF). It has enough space on-unit to store 2 copies of firmware so that you can have 1 version running and 1 version backing it up or simply having the 2nd one as a redundant should the primary corrupt.

I also like the fact that I can use ssh and https to connect to the 5300xl instead of telnet and http. I've also tested it with TACAS+ and it works beautifully. I would seriously recommend that you go to http://www.hp.com/rnd and read the user docs. It'll give you good insight.
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

David,

Regarding pricing, here are the parts you can order.

1) 5304xl which has 4 empty slots;

2) 5308xl which has 8 empty slots and double the backplane of the 5304xl;

3) 5348xl which is a 5304xl + 2 modules of 24 port 10/100 TX

4) 5372xl which is a 5308xl + 3 modules of 24 port 10/100 TX

Hope this info helps.
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.

Many Thanks for the help.
A HP 5308 was purchased for the job.