1753474 Members
4711 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Routing / VLAN / Subnet Questions

CDN_Error_Repair
Occasional Contributor

Routing / VLAN / Subnet Questions

I will be the first to say I am not an networking expert. So I am here asking the experts. First some background on my problem.

5 x T1 therefore subnets 5 subnets / gateways

These are example IP's obviously

See my quick network drawing.

Right now if I am on subnet 1 and want to copy something on a server on subnet 2 all the trafic goes out through our WAN and back in again. This is very very slow. IS there a way with the 5308 or Windows to allow all internal routes with those 3 subnets to not go thru the WAN but stay within the lan?

I hope this makes sense?
If you need more info just email. Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
CDN_Error_Repair
Occasional Contributor

Re: Routing / VLAN / Subnet Questions

Here is the drawing.

Its a basic drawing..
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

I think you already posted something similar before a week maybe.

Did that solution works for you ?

Anyway, after looking to the map , i have some questions in regards.

1- If i'm in Vlan 117 , or 47 or 41 or 34 , how can i get Internet Conenction ? do you have another router connected to the 5308 or the switch but its not in the drawing?

2- There is no such a switch 5804 ????

3- Enabling IP Routing on each switch is More than Enough to route between the Vlans without going outside.

4- Based on your Drawing, Adding a Default static route to each switch will help to connect to the internet. but its not clear which router can get you outside to the internet.

5- What kind of routers you have there ? some routers don;t support NAT for mutiple subbnets.

I hope these information are helpfull for you, and we are waiting for previous information.

Good Luck !!!

Science for Everyone
CDN_Error_Repair
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply and help.

Each of the switch and vlans has its own router

each of 55,117,35,41,47 has its own router and link to the internet. Cisco 3401 which i have no control over

Does that answer your question
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

I think you don;t need to connect a Router for each Vlan, unless you have your Security Reasons or something else.
Otherwise, its not a good design, you have an intelligent switch, and you can rely on it to route between your Vlans.

Anyway, if you just enable ip routing, all vlans should talk to each other, excpet that you didn;t explain how can i connect between the 2 Core switches, maybe each one resides on a Wan side, and then Routers will help in connecting them.

Science for Everyone