Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1751805 Members
5023 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Routing VLAN's

M. Heerkens

Routing VLAN's

I've configured a ProCurve 2524 switch with three VLAN's and 802.1x user authentication. When a user logs on it's authenticated by a radius server and placed in a VLAN. When the user is placed in a VLAN other than the VLAN the server sits in the computer doesn't get an IP address from the server.

How can I configure that the server can assign a IP address ?
7 REPLIES 7
claramunt_1
Advisor

Hi,

You've to configure a helper address in each VLAN, set to the IP address of the DHCP server on the VLAN connected to the DHCP Client.

Example:
HPswitch(conf)# vlan 10
HPswitch(vlan-10)# ip helper-address 10.10.10.1

DHCP Relay is enabled by default, you can disable/re-enable it at the Config CLI context level by entering this command:

[no] dhcp-relay
M. Heerkens

Thx for the reply but IP helper-address is not a command for vlan interface.
Ardon
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

I do not know where the former post got his information from but the 2524 does not Route IP Traffic and the mentioned DHCP Relay is therefore not available.
The only way to get this to work then is to alow the VLAN to travel to a Switch which CAN route IP (53XX, 41XX, 34XX etc...). There on the IP Routing device you then enable the DHCP Helper Address.

Regards, Ardon
ProCurve Networking Engineer
M. Heerkens

I think your right because the IP helper-address isn't available. When I connect to a router does the port on whitch the router is connect have to be in all the VLAN's ? Tagged or Untagged ?

Thanks Martijn
Ardon
Trusted Contributor

Hi Martijn,

You were asking:"I think your right because the IP helper-address isn't available. When I connect to a router does the port on whitch the router is connect have to be in all the VLAN's ? Tagged or Untagged ?"

That depends. If you have multiple VLANs travelling over one physical link then ONLY ONE can be Untagged. However you are free to Tag them all. The port only needs to travel tohose VLANs up to the router that require Layer 3 functionality like DHCP Helper.

Hard to explain. Feel free to get back to me in case of further questions. Otherwise I can send you a sample topology.

Regards, Ardon
ProCurve Networking Engineer
M. Heerkens

Ardon, Thanks for the quick response. I think I get it just one last question, when I put the port on which the router resides I all the vlan's do I need to configure anything on the router for vlan's ?

Martijn
claramunt_1
Advisor

Obvious You've to configure that I post above in a switch with routing capabilities, 2500 series are only level 2 switches