108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Routing between VLAN with IP Routing turned off

Torsten Zimmermann
Occasional Contributor

Routing between VLAN with IP Routing turned off

Hello everybody !

I'm using a procurve 2650.
I've configured 2 Vlans and IP Routing is turned off because i want to specify my own routes !

but when i try to execute

ip route dest/netmask gateway

i'm getting this message : can not be switch and gateway at the same time...

what is going wrong here ??
7 REPLIES 7
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

Check the destination/mask and gateway, it shouldn;t be in the same range of the IP addresses you configured on the switch.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Carsten M
Regular Advisor

HI!
Routing is off as you writes. Thus you can rconfigure also no routes.
Which you to make can are the configuration of a default gateway to the next router. That is easily possible over the menu.

Greets
Carsten
cm60
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

As Carsten suggests, you need to enable 'ip routing' first. After which you can then use 'ip route' to specify your own routes.
Torsten Zimmermann
Occasional Contributor

But i don't want the router to route between every vlan ... when i turn ip routing on , that is possible

Torsten Zimmermann
Occasional Contributor

so finally i ended up this way :

ip routing is off , i've configured 2 vlans ... but also built up an old pc with debian and one network card....

i installed the vlan package on this "router" and i've configured iptables ... now everything works fine .. you're able to ping between vlans but you can't do anything more ....
until i allow it ...

thanks for your suggestions
Shane_33
Frequent Advisor

Torsten,

The 26xx series of ProCurve switches support static routes only (no RIP or OSPF), so as I understand it the ip route command doesn't automatically turn routing on between all VLAN's - you have to setup your routes manually.

What you need to do is possible with static routes in the switch, just enable the ip routing then setup your own routes.

An external PC running as a router between these VLAN's is just a bottleneck you don't need.

Regards,
Shane.
Paulen
Regular Advisor

Just another thing: you can't route between VLANs unless you have defined an IP address in the VLANs you want to be able to route between. To exclude the management IP from the route table, use the "management-vlan" statement.

And yes, you are able to route between subnets on the same switch without setting up any static routes.