1752777 Members
6357 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Routing on the 2650 Switch

Mark Wylie_1
Occasional Advisor

Routing on the 2650 Switch

Hi All, i'm new to this kit so any halp would me greatly appreciated...

I am working on a network which has outgrown its numbering scheme.
It currently uses a 192.9.200.0/24 address block, the reason why is undocumented.
The network is about to hit the buffers and run out of IP addresses.

I propose to renumber the clients and leave the servers as they are to avoid all the hassle with reconfiguring the client applications with new server IP addresses. The department is very underresourced and the network is lmost wholly undocumented so I would have to audit all the applications and plan a big project to reconfigure them on my own but I only have a couple of weeks here.

The servers are all plugged into a NETGEAR GS748T switch and the clients are plugged into a single Procurve 2650 and three Procurve 2626 switches.

I was thinking I might be able to
- Leave the servers on the Netgear switch with all ports tagged as VLAN1 and using 192.9.200.0/24 network addresses.
- Stack the Procurves together and tag all ports as VLAN2
- Tag one of the GBNIC ports on the procurves as VLAN1
- Assign IP addresses to VLAN1 and VLAN2
- Set a static route on the Procurve stack from VLAN2 to VLAN1

Is this feasible and if so how do I go about it?

Any suggestions would be a great help, otherwise I'll have to commit them to shelling out for an expensive GB router or stick a computer in the middle to do the routing.
12 REPLIES 12
Mark Wylie_1
Occasional Advisor

Re: Routing on the 2650 Switch

Forgot to mention, I intend to use a 192.168.16.0/20 numbering scheme for the clients.
Mark Wylie_1
Occasional Advisor

Please, somebody help... I can't even find the command in the manual to ENABLE the IP Routing feature!
Martin_251
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mark,

Perhaps this helps a bit.

You can enable IPv4 routing quite simply on the 2600 switches. Just log onto the switch, go to config mode and issue the command 'ip routing'. This enables the 2600 to start routing between VLANs. Note that every VLAN which has an IP address will be routed.

The default/static route is then simply a matter of issuing a 'ip route '.

I wonder about your plan though. You are concentrating all routing between VLAN 1 and 2 on a single 2600 and although it can route, it is not designed to process lots of routed traffic. You may want to get in something more robust like a 5304XL.

More information in the manuals (http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/manuals/2650_6108.htm, Chapter 7 Advanced Traffic Management Guide)

Martin
Mark Wylie_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Martin,

I have managed to get the routing enabled.

I have set up a two VLANs on the switch
VLAN1 (Default VLAN) corresponds to the server VLAN and is the same on the Netgear switch which has all the servers on it.

VLAN2 (CLIENT_VLAN) is the on which will have the client PCs on it.

VLAN1 has an interface of 192.9.200.3/24
VLAN2 has an interface of 192.168.16.1/20

I have enabled routing and assigned all the ports on the Procurve 2650 to VLAN 2 - except for Port50 which is my link to the server network and is assigned to VLAN1.
All ports are Untagged.

I have defined the default route as my internet gateway.

I have a test client PC with an IP of 192.968.16.xx/20 on VLAN2 and my server is 192.9.200.xx/24 on VLAN1.

I can manage the switch via Telnet and web browser from any device on either VLAN.
I can ping any device on the network from a telnet session on the switch.
I cannot however pass packets from one network to the other.

What am I missing?

"show ip route" gives me the following:-

Destination: 0.0.0.0
Network Mask:0.0.0.0
Gateway: 192.9.200.254
Type: static

Destination:127.0.0.0
Network Mask:255.0.0.0
Gateway:reject
Type:static

Destination:127.0.0.1
Network Mask:255.255.255.0
Gateway:lo0
Type:connected

Destination:192.9.200.0
Network Mask:255.255.255.0
Gateway:DEFAULT_VLAN

Destination:192.168.16.0
Network Mask:255.255.140.0
Gateway:CLIENT_VLAN

What am I missing? why can't I see from one network to the other?
I've attaced a wee network diagram to illustrate.
Shiraz Malik
Advisor

Hi Mark,
I'm sorry i wasn't able to open your attached network diagram due to some prolem with the encoding of the attached file, but what i want to know is if you have defined the ip address for both the vlans on your 2650? It will only do the routing between the vlans which have the Ip address assigned on the switch. please also paste the result of "show ip" command.

thanks
Mark Wylie_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Shiraz, thanks for responding. Below is the output from "show ip"

What do you think?

--------------------------

Comms ProC_01# show ip

Internet (IP) Service

IP Routing : Enabled

Default TTL : 100

VLAN | IP Config IP Address Subnet Mask Proxy ARP
------------ + ---------- --------------- --------------- ---------
DEFAULT_VLAN | Manual 192.9.200.3 255.255.255.0 Yes
CLIENT | Manual 192.168.16.1 255.255.240.0 Yes

Martin_251
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mark,

A client 192.168.16.xx/20 in VLAN 2 with its Default Gateway set to 192.168.16.1/20, should make it across to the Netgear box.

I think your problem may be that the traffic from the client in VLAN 2 gets to the Netgear, but it has no way to make it back from the Netgear to the ProCurve.

You could use a sniffer and see if this is indeed the case.

Martin
Shiraz Malik
Advisor

Hi Mark,
just to narrow down the problem, i want you to assign VLAN1 to another port on your 2650 (currently you have only port 50 in default_vlan, rite?) and put a client machine there and then try to access the node on the other vlan. if it works, then you will be sure about the routing and vlan configuration on 2650. I will try to take out time and look into the netgear gs748t in detail. Meanwhile, please update me after doign the above exercise.
thanks
Martin_251
Occasional Advisor

Hi Shiraz,

Not sure I follow your reasoning:

"i want you to assign VLAN1 to another port on your 2650 (...) and put a client machine there and then try to access the node on the other vlan. if it works, then you will be sure about the routing and vlan configuration on 2650"

So you're saying 'switch over L2 to prove that the L3 routing works'?

This setup seems pretty straighforward: if the client's Default Gateway is set to the IP address of VLAN 2 on the 2650, interface 50 is untagged in VLAN 1 and VLAN 1 has an IP assigned, the 2650 will route from VLAN 2 to VLAN 1.

If this is set up properly, it will get to the Netgear. Thing is: what will the Netgear do with that traffic?