Routing stops on HP procurve 2848

Hi
We are using HP Procurve 2848,
HP2848_1(config)# show version
Image stamp: /sw/code/build/mako(m03)
Aug 26 2003 16:49:11
I.07.31
Boot Image: Primary

The switch is configured into 3 Vlans, one of the vlan is the route to the internet. Ports 3 to 32 are in this vlan.
We have noticed couple of times that the routing stops and we cannot connect to the internet. The only way out is to reset the switch.
We would like to you if there are any known problems in routing with hp2848 switch? Are there any new patches that we need to apply ?

Apply suggestions are welcome.

...BPK...
9 REPLIES 9
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Re: Routing stops on HP procurve 2848

Try to set the "MAC Age Time" parameter to 1800 seconds (30 minutes) for this switch. I guess you can find this parameter in "System Information" screen.
Praveen Bezawada
Respected Contributor

Hi
Thanks for the reply.

How does this parameter affect the behaviour of the switch is this case ?
Gonzo Granello
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I don't think the MAC age time can fix that. Did you have a default route to the VLAN where the internet is connected to? It should look like ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.198.1 (where the last ip is your gateway) That way the switch knows where to go if there is no direct route. You could also use a routing protocol like RIP to tell the switch where to route traffic to, that however makes it somewhat more complicated. The issue you see could also be a limitation on the routing capacity, depending on how many clients connect, it may ran out of space to route in hardware and the hangup you see is just very slow routing.

GG
most time the day i have to mask my contempt for the a-holes in charge......
Praveen Bezawada
Respected Contributor

We setup the ip route to the gateway as
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

How to check what is the routing capacity? Can this be increased? How to know when the limit is being reached ?

Thanks for the help.
Gonzo Granello
Valued Contributor

sho ip route

should give you the info. i'm not 100% on the capacity (and that might be the wrong path as well) but i belive it is a rather low number. you should find that in the manual, the issue (if that is the problem) is that the switch stores routes by MAC address and not by network, therefore if you reach the limit (which could be quick) then your route in Software. I belive the number is between 24-48 but again, i'm not sure. There is also a new Firmware for this switch I07.32 - you should upgrade and read the release notes, maybe its fixed!

GG
Mohamed Hamedi
Respected Contributor

Can you actually telnet to the box, does the box still respond?
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

There is actually a newer code than 32. The I.07.56 is released that should fix a couple of "hangs". It's not out on the web, but if you call Procurve Networking support by HP they are more then happy to provide it for you by email.

Regards,

SCOOTER
Gonzo Granello
Valued Contributor

Hey Scooter,

that is great, BUT the code is not (yet) on the HP.com/rnd website. Nice that you have insider info, where is the CODE? I just checked 10 min ago and the latest posted is I07.32. Maybe you could post the code if you have it (attach to post) or you have a working link? It does not help customers to tell them of new revesions if they are not publicly available.

GG
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Gonzo,

As stated, contact HP for the code, they just sent it to me (if you have an ongoing case regarding some issues they will send the code before posted on the web), but I cannot post it here (to big).

Support told me the code would be on the web asap aswel.
And if you call HP they will provide the code.

Regards,

SCOOTER