Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748209 Members
2858 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SFP+ Direct Attach 10G cables

SFP+ Direct Attach 10G cables

I'm trying to connect two Procurve 6600's to a 5406 with the SFP+ module.
We originally specified HP direct attach cables, but there is a bit of a rush and our supplier told us that Cisco SFP+ branded cables would work. When I attach the cables the link light blinks orange and there is no connectivity.
After some research I've learned that the SFP+ transievers on copper (or direct attach) can be "branded" for the manufacturer and that HP switches will only work with HP cables. Can anyone confirm this?
If so I love that HP claims there cable is compliant with the standard, but then doesn't accept other standard compliant cables. So much for interoperability.
2 REPLIES 2
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

Re: SFP+ Direct Attach 10G cables

hi Marquis
ProCurve or Cisco component don't support any other producer
yess I product compliant standart but dont't work any other producer product
cenk

rick jones
Honored Contributor

Re: SFP+ Direct Attach 10G cables

As you have discovered, your supplier was mistaken. They should not have told you that Cisco branded DACs would work with your ProCurve 6600 and 5406 switches.

While it is called a "Direct Attach Cable" (DAC) is is really a cable hardwired to two transceivers. It isn't simply a cable, although many people seem to think of it that way - like a funny RJ45 cable. I don't think the IEEE fully appreciated what they wrought there. Perhaps they should have called it Direct Attach Transceivers.

Just as with optical or CX4 transceivers, there are IDs, and various kit can and does check the IDs on the transceivers and make decisions. The firmware in the ProCurve 6600 and 5406 switches checks the IDs and will only accept those IDs it has been coded to "know" are both work and are supported.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows