1753797 Members
7356 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SNMP Access Violation

Tony Barrett_2
Frequent Advisor

SNMP Access Violation

I use NNM v7.01 to manage our ProCurve network (26xx, 28xx, 53xx). The management station is setup as an authorized SNMP manager on the switches, and is also configured as the trap receiver. All management works fine, and NNM can communicate with the switches without a problem. There are no indications from NNM (or PCM2.1+ which is integrated) that there are any problems. PCM+ does not show any access errors when I test communications to a switch.

The issue is that, occasionnally, I get all the switches sending traps saying;

SNMP Security access violation from

I have 'Send Authentication Traps' set to yes, which is why the traps are being generated, but I don't want to switch this off, as I may miss true violation attempts.

Can anyone try to explain why the switches think that there is a security violation from an authorized management station?
2 REPLIES 2
Eirram_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: SNMP Access Violation

Hello Tony,

Please contact support. It looks like this is fixed in E.10.31 for the 5300, H.08.92 for the 26xx and I.08.92 for the 28xx.

But you will have to contact support to get these versions as it is not on the web yet. They will also be able to tell you the reason for this eventlog entry.

Goodluck
Tony Barrett_2
Frequent Advisor

Re: SNMP Access Violation

Thanks for the info Eirram.

I'm suprised it's taken HP until this late in the life of the 26xx, 28xx and 53xx series of switches to notice/fix this problem.

One issue that may prevent me updating is the fact I'm using CDP for network mapping, and HP are removing the CDP code from all switches in favour of LLDP. I'm stuck with f/w 10.04 on the 5300's and 8.71 on the 26xx until I can move to LLDP.