Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNMP Access Violations

Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

SNMP Access Violations

I've got a 2848 switch which, despite have a correct config, refuses to be accessed via snmp from both PCM and Inmon Traffic Sentinel / Sflowtrend.

The log has many SNMP violation entries but I've triple checked the community strings and authorised managers are correct. We have around 100 other HP switches, including 4 2848s and these all work fine.

Any suggestions?
5 REPLIES
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Re: SNMP Access Violations

The first few things i would check (In terms of PCM+ accessing the device) is the Telnet/CLI username and password combo, also, check that there isn;t an operator account setup with the same password.

Also, check that the switch is set to go straight to CLI mode and not to MENU mode when accessed.

None of these should be causing the SNMP access violations though...
Where there is a will there is a way...
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Jason,
Check out my recent thread https://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1040250

I ran into an issue where the global setting changed and recently discovered switches were getting denied yet older discovered switches were fine.

Double check your global settings if you use them, otherwise check the per-device settings. Run the Test Communication Parms wizard to verify.
Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

Yep, all checked. The config is almost a mirror image (aside from ip details etc) of our other HP switches, all of which work ok. Its baffling.

The switch is running 08.56 software so I'm going to schedule an upgrade.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

I've heard of something similar to this. I believe a reboot will fix it, but definitely go with the firmware update at the same time.
Werner Weiss
Occasional Advisor

I have the same problem a few years ago. After change or remove the public community, I get "snmp access violations". With a sniffer I found out, that HP JetAdmin causes this error messages. On some PC was this software installed, and this polled around the network for HP printers...
In my case, I added the public community with read only rights until I have removed all JetAdmins installations....
Maybe there is a similar software installed on a PC?