1748186 Members
4305 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SNMP Secuirty Access Violation

Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

I'm having the exact same issue with SNMPv3. Test communication parameters is fine, but bogged down in these access violation errors. Also getting HP Support to remote in to my PCM server to take a look when I can find the time.
Jay671
Advisor

Same thing here. I am running on server 2008 R2 though. Refer to my thread here

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1442355

It's all my edge switches that are doing this. The higher end switches (2910, 3500, 5400, 8200) they all work fine, but I also had to set the MIB manually in each of those to get them to stop with the errors.

Had a case open with HP, did all kinds of troubleshooting, packet captures, trace files, and in the end they closed the case saying they don't support server 08 R2 and used that as the reason.
Not sure if that is similar in your case or not.

-Jay
Jay671
Advisor

I guess I should have mentioned this in my previous post. The reason I talk about the fact that it's not reporting traffic stats is, if you go into PCM, click on one of the switches filled with these errors, then click on the traffic tab at the top, right click any active port and choose "port summary", then click on the "log" tab, you should notice that it errors out every time it tries to retrieve traffic stats from an edge switch with something similar to the below text....

06/28/10 12:27:35p: Poll port[id=2816772|ifindex=49] error (verify device is connected correctly)
06/28/10 12:27:33p Poller port [id=2816772|ifindex=49] timer expired (attempting to poll device again)
06/28/10 12:17:33p: Poll port [id=2816722|ifindex=49] error (verify device is discovered correctly)

Now compare those times with the log in the switch where you are receiving the errors of

W 06/28/10 12:27:35p snmp: SNMP Security access violation from 10.x.x.x

And you should notice that the times match up, or are at the very least close enough to point at what PCM is trying to do when the switch receives the error message. Even though right clicking in PCM and testing parameters all passes.

As I said, I had a case open with HP, which was eventually escalated to the engineers, all of this info was given to them along with multiple trace files, screen shots, show tech all's, a sample of my blood, my first born child, and in the end they came back with the fact that I was running it on an unsupported Server OS. So if this is the case for you as well, get used to your edge switches filling up with the errors.

Best you can do is change the setting in the agent manager to poll less often or not at all.

swaize
Frequent Advisor

Was kind of expecting this might be the case in the end!

Not enough people running v3 to make them fix it I guess.
Tore Valberg
Trusted Contributor

06/28/10 12:27:35p: Poll port[id=2816772|ifindex=49] error (verify device is connected correctly)
06/28/10 12:27:33p Poller port [id=2816772|ifindex=49] timer expired (attempting to poll device again)
06/28/10 12:17:33p: Poll port [id=2816722|ifindex=49] error (verify device is discovered correctly)

That errors is quite interesting. Did you try deleting , and then manually discover the switch?

Did any of you open a case with procurve support?

At least i can confirm this issue have not been reported to L2 support in EMEA.

If you have a open case with front line support, they should be able to elevate the case to L2 if they receive the correct data needed.

I not already done, i would collect the following data, and insist that the case is elevated further: (also refer to this thread)

- Server, client and agent logs from the PCM server. (Tools - Preferences - Archive logs) And chose to collect all logs.
- MSINFO32.exe infor] from the server. (Export as nfo or txt)
- System and application logs from event viewer.

Tore
Jay671
Advisor

Tore,

Yep did that, done that and so much more. I had an open case, was dealing heavily through email. Received a response stating it was getting handed off to "Eric Knight" which I assumed was an escalation. after several more emails back and forth, this was his response.

"Hi Jason,

Thanks for clarifying. Heres where we are going to run into problems. We currently are not supporting R2. HP will probably support it in the future but its still in the development phase. You can try to enable Sflow manually on the 2610,5400,3500 etc. using the commands from the document you sent me. If that works then that would be the workaround for now. But until we have developed the correct hooks to intergrate with 2008 R2. We are probably not going to see any consistant results with Traffic Monitor. When full support for R2 is available, I can let you know.

Eric"

If you have access the case number is 4614699099

I have also tried several tweaks on the server side of things all unsuccessful.
If you want more info, or every single stpe I have tried, including rebuilding from scratch, let me know.

-Jay