7618 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SNMP Security access violation

Wanda_5
Frequent Advisor

SNMP Security access violation

hi everyone.

im having a problem with our 4108gl procurve switch and Procurve Manager. I installed procurve manager in a pc for testing. everytime i run PCM the switch will be flooded with security access violation from the IP of that PC which i am running the PCM..

any ideas on how i can prevent these security access violations from appearing on the event log everytime i run PCM?

Thanks in advance!
6 REPLIES 6
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Add the IP address of the PCM box to the 4108gl's list of authorized amangement IPs.

"If you use the switch├в s Authorized IP Managers and Management VLAN features, ensure that the SNMP management station and/or the choice of switch port used for SNMP access to the switch are compatible with the access controls enforced by these features. Otherwise, SNMP access to the switch will be blocked. For more on Authorized IP Managers, refer to the Access Security Guide on the Documentation CD-ROM shipped with your switch. (For the latest version of this guide, visit the HP ProCurve web site.) For information on the Management VLAN feature, refer to ├в The Secure Management
VLAN├в on page 12-26."

Also make sure that the SNMP comnmunity string is set correctly and that SNMP is enabled on the 4108.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/59906023e01-Mgmt-ch11-Net_Manage
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

wanda,

does your PCM successfully pull the configuration from your switches? if not, it's because you gave your PCM the wrong telnet password or the wrong private snmp string or both. check both.

if you have Authorized IP list setup, your PCM will also fail to pull the configuration from your switches. so that's one important test you need to run. is your PCM successfully pulling configurations from the switches?
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
Wanda_5
Frequent Advisor

yeah. it's not getting the correct configurations. in fact, its not pulling any configurations from the switch. It just says that the switch is up but cannot display the status/configurations of the switch and devices connected to it.

I'll check that. I can't test it right now though. When i do, i'll let you know.

Thanks.
Ardon
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Most likely it's the SNMP Community Name used by PCM giving you the mentioned Security Access Violation. PLease compare the ones on the 4108 with that of PCM. Do you have other switches that do not exhibit the Security Access Violoation whem PCM polls them?

Thanks, Ardon
ProCurve Networking Engineer
Wanda_5
Frequent Advisor

yes ardon. we actually have 2 4108 switches. The PCM can pull the configurations on the other switch, including the devices connected to it. i already checked the configurations on both switches, and they are identical. But when i'm using the PCM, it can only monitor the traffic on one of the switches.
robdal
Occasional Advisor