5854 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SNMP access to stacked switches

Domenico Viggiani
Super Advisor

SNMP access to stacked switches

Hi,
I have three HP2524 switch in a stack: one is the 'commander' and has its Ip address, others are 'members' and I can manage them only enetring first on the commander.
If I need to fetch some data via SNMP, obviously I can access only to the master.
Is there a way to get data from members?

Thanks for any help
3 REPLIES 3
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: SNMP access to stacked switches

There should be. In the HP-SwitchStack-MIB there is a concept of:

hpSwitchStackMemberSwitchNum OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX Integer32 (1..15)
MAX-ACCESS read-only
STATUS current
DESCRIPTION "An index that uniquely identifies the member switch
associated with this row entry."
::= { hpSwitchStackConfigMemberEntry 1 }

The spec says you can manage a stack of 16 with only one ip address. The old hub FAQ says:

"In a stacked system, each hub should have a unique ID number to identify itself. Each hub automatically sets an ID number if attached to an SNMP management agent (i.e., Hu-12TXM) through the stacking port. When a new hub is inserted in the stack, the next available hub identifier is assigned to the new hub (e.g., the identifier numbers are not changed for previously configured hubs)."

Get the HP MIBS at:

Windows:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwareDownloadIndex.jhtml?lc=en&softitem=nw-7847-2&sw_lang=en

UNIX:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwareDownloadIndex.jhtml?lc=en&softitem=nw-7846-1&sw_lang=en

and do a walk and see what you find.

Ron

Domenico Viggiani
Super Advisor

I searched in the MIBs but it seems that "hpSwitchStackMemberSwitchNum" is an index used only interbally in the hpSwitchStack MIB.
I need the 17.4.3.1.2 (dot1dBridge.dot1dTp.dot1dTpFdbTable.dot1dTpFdbEntry.dot1dTpFdbPort) branch but is is not indexed with any useful switch number.
Other ideas?

Thanks again
Domenico Viggiani
Super Advisor

Solved!
From the manual:
"To use a management station for SNMP Get or Set access through the
Commander???s IP address to a Member, you must append @sw
to the community name."

Bye