cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNMP and/or PCM change to manager password on 4000M

PDnet
Advisor

SNMP and/or PCM change to manager password on 4000M

I have a bunch of 4000s in my network and I would like to change the manager password using a centralized tool. PCM+ is failing on them, even though it works fine with my 4100s and 5300s. Does anyone know the OID of the manager password (if it is accessible)? I can script that using a tool if PCM will never work for me.

thanks

stu...
4 REPLIES
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: SNMP and/or PCM change to manager password on 4000M

I have looked in the past for an OID without success. I'm fairly confident that one does not exist.

I assume that you're running the latest update on PCM? I'll see if I can give it a try myself next week and let you know how I go.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Hi Stu,

I tested this today using PCM 2.1 with Update 8 and it worked fine for me.

From the Interconnect Devices view, I selected all of my 4000M's, and then clicked on "Communication Parameters in Device" and went through the Wizard, selected CLI, telnet, checked enable password protection and put my new password in.

For this to work, PCM first needs to be setup correctly with the 'Communication Parameters in PCM' for both SNMP and CLI. To test using the 'Test Communication Parameters in PCM' option.

Don't forget to assign points to any replies that you receive.

Matt
PDnet
Advisor

Matt,
I think that is the source of the problem. I use TACACS authentication on all of my switches. On the 4100s and 5300s, it works fine in PCM. However, when configured on the 4000s it fails the PCM test of comm parameters. I have checked the accuracy of the credentials in PCM several times, to no avail.

So, maybe the better question is, does anyone know if TACACS authentication on a 4000M works with PCM? I just noticed that update 9 to PCM+ was available. More to report after that installs.

stu...
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

I've noticed a similar thing in the past when using PCM 1.6, it didn't like my switches that were authenticating against my RADIUS server.

PCM looks for prompts, so I'm willing to bet the TACACS+ login prompt looks different to the standard prompt which is why PCM is failing with those switches.

If you can disable TACACS+ on a 4000M, verify PCM works with just a standard password, then you're most likely looking at a bug which doesn't look to be addressed in Update 9.

At that point you can open a support call with HP, or you could buy some nice new 5400's instead!