4586 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SNMP traps from ProCurve to HPSIM

J├╝rgen Hiltebrandt
Occasional Contributor

SNMP traps from ProCurve to HPSIM

Hello guys,
I want to get my ProCurve's events in my HP System Insight Manager 5, so I setup snmp on a 2626 with

snmp-server host 10.10.1.1 "public" Not-Info

My problem now is, that I only get the basic snmp traps like, Link UP, Link Down, Cold start, ...
What is more important for me, is to get the e.g. "Excessive late collisions" messages which I see in the switchs eventlog, but not in my HPSIM events.

Plz help!
11 REPLIES 11
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

Try this command for Critical events:

snmp-server host 10.10.1.1 public Critical

Or for All Events:

snmp-server host 10.10.1.1 public all

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
J├╝rgen Hiltebrandt
Occasional Contributor

Thanx Mohieddin,

but as I told, I already set up snmp-traps for not-info. And I already get those "Link Up, ..." messages, even I defined "not-info".

The ProCurve userguide says, that if not specifying the event level (all, critical, not-info ...) only well-known traps (Link-Up, Cold Start, ...) are send. For eventlog messages being send, an event level has to be specified.

It seems, that I only get those well-known traps, but no eventlog messages, even I defined an event level (not-info).

My guess is, wether eventlog traps are not send at all by the switch, or my HPSIM filters them or doesn't accept them.

Any clue?
Kenneth Wernicke
Occasional Advisor

Hi

I have the same issue you describe. I wonder if you have a solution yet. If so, please can you share it?
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

For HPSIM to recognise all of the traps sent from ProCurve switches, you will need to load the ProCurve specific MIBs into HPSIM.

At the moment it is only recognising the generic trap types.

http://www.hp.com/rnd/software/MIBs.htm

Even with the MIBs loaded, I'm not too sure how well it will work with HPSIM. If possible I'd recommend you look at using ProCurve Manager instead.
Kenneth Wernicke
Occasional Advisor

thank you for the mib link!

I added the mibs with mcompile and mxmib, but I still cannot receive any traps. The mibs are listed under SNMP Trap Settings, but it seems that the mibs are "empty". When I select a mib, there is nothing under Trap Name and so on.

The reason why I don't want to use the Procurve management tool is that I want to use one tool for management and that is HP SIM.
Carsten Reinhard
Frequent Advisor

Especially ProCurve Manager is only able to work on Syslog-Events, not on SNMP Events.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

That's kind of what I was afraid might happen. My feeling is that HPSIM requires that the MIBs use the 'TRAP-TYPE' macro, most ProCurve MIBs do not use this. Instead they use 'NOTIFICATION-TYPE' (Except for the 9300's which use h2r07601a.mib - maybe try loading that MIB and hopefully you should see the trap types under Trap Settings).

From the link: http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/simsnmp.pdf

It says that mcompile resolves all MIB dependencies and, where necessary, converts SNMP v2 MIBs into v1 format for loading into the HP Systems Insight Manager database.

My wild guess is that since it needs to convert everything into v1, this indicates it does not support the NOTIFICATION-TYPE as that relies on SNMPv2-SMI.

Nevertheless, I'll see if I can try this out myself in the near future.

Just on PCM again, ProCurve Manager offers a lot more than just trap management so I would strongly recommend you look at it if possible - I agree though it would be nice to have a more unified system... Openview can tie different management applications together to provide a unified management solution, but obviously the software costs start adding up.
dj_farid
Occasional Advisor

It's been six months now. Any progress on this subject? I am in the same situation.
didier.descotes
Occasional Advisor

i've got the same pb for 2 weeks..
have you found anything on this?
I'm very interested!