1753777 Members
7535 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SSH and Procurve Manager

Vince Butler
Advisor

SSH and Procurve Manager

I use ProCurve Manager to manage all of my switches, and eventually plan to use IDM for 802.1x authentication. I used to manage the switches with Telnet, and could use PCM to update switch software, etc. I am moving my switches to SSH w/Public Key Authentication, with RADIUS authentication for enable-level access. I plan to disable telnet access to all switches due to security concerns. I have that working on one switch but now I can not communicate with it properly from within PCM (for instance, when I check software status I get a time-out). I can SSH to the switch successfully from within PCM, so what do I need to do to still manage my switches completely but get the benefits of SSH and RADIUS?
2 REPLIES 2
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Re: SSH and Procurve Manager

Hi

If the CLI (Telnet and/or SSH) settings, or the SNMP settings for this switch are different than the PCM global Preferences for device access settings, then PCM may be having problems communicating with the switch,

You can try:
- use the Test Communication Parameters option to compare CLI and SNMP communication parameters stored on the device with those stored in PCM.
- use the Communication Parameters in PCM Wizard to override the Global PCM settings and set the device access parameters for the specific device.
- use manual discovery, device re-discover, or stop and restart the discovery process to verify the problem is resolved.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Vince Butler
Advisor

Re: SSH and Procurve Manager

I think the problem is that I am using Public Key authentication for SSH. When I use Test Settings everything passes except for CLI Manager - it fails with message "Logged in as Operator." The only way around this I could find was to switch to password authentication, then specify manager and operator accounts for PCM to use.

Since I am using RADIUS as the primary authenticator for both login and enable access, I have to list real network accounts in PCM - the operator/manager accounts on the switch do not work.