New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setting up a small network Pavilion 6635 on XP

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Sutherland_1
Valued Contributor

Much thanks to Mohammed and Ernest.
Linksys Network Builder suggests a BEFSR41 4 Port Ethernet router, so will try that.
Price about 75 dollars here in Canada

Will post again when we try again

John
John Sutherland_1
Valued Contributor

I have learned some more. Bought the aformentioned router and ten minutes after arriving home was set up and working.
There was a fifteen dollar mail in rebate on router. Stores advertise the price after rebate. Usually a long wait until they pay up. Am used to the rigmarole involved. I think they believe many people would not apply for rebate.
Thanks again all
John
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

Glad you got it sorted John - out of curiosity - what would a Linksys BEFSR11 have cost? That could have been used with the switch that you already had to get exactly the same result.
John Sutherland_1
Valued Contributor

BEFSR11 is a one port router and the cost was
$69.99 Canadian. It could have been used with the switch, but for the difference in price, not much of a choice, as switch belongs to Grandson, and purchase of BEFSR41 was mine. The latter about as cheap as we could go for Linksys router.
John
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

Like I said - I was just being curious.

I've seen the BEFSR41 advertised at a lower price than the BEFSR11 - mass market economics in action - I have the BEFSR11, picked it up at a swap meet for US$9 whilst visiting the US about a year ago.
John Sutherland_1
Valued Contributor

Note.
Using a Look Hybrid system.
Satellite download
Phone line upload

Router seemed to work initially on select IP address automatically. Then I lost internet entirely.

Set router up as static IP address and worked Ok.

Then today same thing again.

Problem: I subscribe to McAfee Firewall Plus.
When I tried to download an update, it blew everything off line. I have asked McAfee about problem. Also question that I need their Firewall, as the router should be defense enough. Opinions?

Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

I'm going to answer the firewall question first - it's easier.

The Linksys firewall is probably adequate to keep the bad guys out - certainly I've never had ZOneAlarm Pro report anything coming past my Linksys - the reason I also run ZAPro is that my home LAN is not the only network that my laptop is used with.

One thing that the personal firewall does that the Linksys won't - at least ZAPro does, I'm not sure about the McAfee product - is alert you to outgoing traffic.

Now - the loss of internet.

You need to configure the ip addressing as required by your ISP - you said it initially worked when configured to get the ip address automatically (DHCP), so that would appear to be the appropriate setting.

However, when I visited the look webpage - I got the impression that you needed to enter a user-id & password to get internet access - if I'm correct on this you may actually need to configure this setting for PPPoE - when you select this the setup screen will change to include the user-id & password fields so that you can enter them.
John Sutherland_1
Valued Contributor

Thank you.

Will try that.

Figured that two firewalls do not get along together,

Waiting for McAfee message re fix.
John
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

I don't think that it's a problem of the two firewalls not getting along, but more one of your Linksys loosing it's ip address because of an incorrect setting.
John Sutherland_1
Valued Contributor

Ernest
You have been a lot of help.
I tried the McAfee firewall download again after my grandson came home and it went through this time. Previous two tries stopped at 17% with router going off line.
I have found it a simple matter to re-enter configuration of router. Went back to obtaining configuration automatically. Al seems well and we keep learning all the time.

Thank you again
John