Setting up a small network Pavilion 6635 on XP

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Sutherland_1
Valued Contributor

Setting up a small network Pavilion 6635 on XP

John
May 18, 2004 03:16:39 GMT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trying to set up a shared internet connection over a home network. The internet connection is a hybrid system through Look, where the uploads are carried through the phone lines and the downloads come in via satellite. The problem we are encountering is the Linksys 5port Switch that we are using isn't assigning local IPs to the client computers. Only one computer can have internet access at any given time and the IP it uses is the public IP from look...a 209 address as opposed to a 192 which would be expected. We are not using ICS or equivalent, the connection is being sent directly to the uplink port of the switch. Any help would be appreciated.
May be the cable link from the modem to the router. I now understand that this is a special cable. Understand it must be used from modem to router and it had been used from computer to router. We will see later. My grandson staying with us for a while is the expert and I am waiting for his return.
John

John
19 REPLIES 19
Mohamed Hamedi
Respected Contributor

Re: Setting up a small network Pavilion 6635 on XP

You'll need to enable NAT on the Linksys box to provide your private network with ips.
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

John,

Switches don't assign ip addresses - also, because of the dial-up portion of your internet service, there are a number of variables that need to be established.

I couldn't find a satellite based ISP called Look and the only dialback system I can locate is Hughes - do they have a webpage

I need to establish how the sat/landline modems are hooked up before I can help you.
John Sutherland_1
Valued Contributor

Yes this is a linksys and it is a switch. I believe switches do assign local IP addresses
Unfortunately both computers come up with the same 209.148.86.75 as IP
The only thing we can think of is the switch is somehow defective.
It should not make a difference, but the ISP is on a hybrid system. ie upload via land line and download via wireless receiver.
Apartment buildings operate this way as a number of individuals using same receiver as a transmitter at same time could burn it out. Individual households have wireless both ways.
This is the Look site
http://www.look.ca/page.asp?intNodeID=2620&switchlang=true
Thanks
John
John Sutherland_1
Valued Contributor

Mohammed
I believe NAT is already activated on Liksys switch. Switch has been used before.
John
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

John,

Let me say it again because you didn't get it the first time - switches do NOT assign ip addresses. They also do not do Network Address Translation (NAT).

You need a broadband router with DHCP and NAT capabilities - since you already have a switch, I'd suggest you consider the Linksys BEFSR11 EtherFast Broadband router.

Also I went to that Look Communications webpage - there is no mention of a hybrid satellite internet service - infact as far as I can determine Look Communications does not provide Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS) services of any sort - which would explain why I couldn't find them. At this time there are only two DBS internet vendors offering residential service in North America - Hughes Networks and Gilat Networks - any ISP offering satellite based internet has to use one or the other.

Mohamed Hamedi
Respected Contributor

Hi John,

When you say both systems have same IP, how are you seeing this? If you have NAT turned on, to the outside world both system should.

Otherwise in your private lan you should get a message stating a duplicate IP detected or something like that.

Mohamed Hamedi
Respected Contributor

Quick question what is the model number of your linksys box?
John Sutherland_1
Valued Contributor

Mohammed.
Thank you for your interest. My grandson assures me it should work. I know you could fool me anytime though.
Look is a Canadian company and its service is wireless, both TV and internet. However the only uplink for multiple unit buildings is telephone. They do offer DSL service at a greater price.

model no:EZXS55W-V2 5 port workgroup switch.
Etherfast10/100 Linksys.
Mohamed Hamedi
Respected Contributor
Solution

Sorry John that switch will not work.
You will need something that has routing, so something in this product range http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=34&scid=29