108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sflow on layer 3 switch

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve-H_1

Sflow on layer 3 switch

Hi

We are looking to upgrade our core switch, currently a Procurve 2824, to a newer gigabit layer 3 switch and would like to be able to monitor traffic between VLANs using Sflow.

Do any of HP's layer 3 switches support Sflow monitoring of VLAN interfaces?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor

If you are looking for a core switch, chose something like a 54xx or 82xx (chassis based). If you only need a limited number of L3 ports, a 35xx or 62xx will do the job. Most of the legacy ProCurve products support sFlow (E-Series products). You also have the option of chosing an A-Series products and they as well support sFlow. Before chosing your product, look at the specifications. It will spell out if it supports sFlow or not but again, most of the products do. sFlow doesn't care if its L2 or L3 traffic. It samples the traffic regardless if the box is switching or routing.

Hope this help.
Steve-H_1

Olaf,

Thanks for the quick response.
More than likely we will be going with the 3500. No use for the PoE but the price is right.

In regards to sFlow. Your response leads me to believe that only physical ports can be monitored with sFlow. Is that true? Since we are only interested in moitoring inter-VLAN traffic I was hoping we could monitor the "virtual VLAN interface", where traffic transits from one VLAN to another.
The one collector I am familar with, Manage Engine's Netflow Analyzer, is licensed per interface. In order to get the information we want we would need to monitor the majoity of the core switch ports which would be pricey.

The more I learn about sFlow the less likely this seems.

Thanks again Olaf.
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor
Solution

Yes, it is per physical interface. You should consider looking at PCM+ as a tool to manage your switches. The "plus" version has what you need. Give the 60 day trial license a try.

http://h10144.www1.hp.com/customercare/support/software/network_management.htm

netvis
Advisor

Enabling sFlow on all switch ports reports on all the traffic flows through the switch. Ingress/egress VLAN information is reported by sFlow allowing an sFlow analyzer to report on inter-VLAN traffic.

You might want to try out sFlowTrend, it's free to monitor all ports on up to 5 switches.
http://www.inmon.com/products/sFlowTrend.php
Steve-H_1

Thanks guys,

I'll take a look at both of those products.
Steve-H_1

Question answered