1748089 Members
5166 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Slow/unstable performance on 5300xl

Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

You are correct. Have you seen any router (other than Internet backbone routers) connected to Internet, having static routes, and not having a default route?-) (Ok, I assumed Internet connectivity (not an isolated private network) here, my mistake on that.)

To stay in the subject, the issue experienced by Rasmus and me is not routing table related. The problem is deeper in the routing engine of Procurve 5300XL. Sometimes it just takes a lot of time to do its task, and that should not happen.

HP engineers brought Catalyst 3550's to our premises as well, for backup devices:-)
Quartino
Occasional Advisor

Same problem for us ... since february. No solution from hp
IT_7
Advisor

OK, sounds like this is some major bug in their firmware or whatever.

Markku, since it sounds like HP are actively working at your site, can you ask them when they expect to have a solution? I've send an e-mail to HP, but it is a big company...

Thanks,
Rasmus
Einar_3
Advisor

Rasmus;

Do you experience any Drops TX increasing error count on any interfaces?
We're also investigating a similar error condition on 5300XL with Procurve support.

Regards,
Einar
IT_7
Advisor

As I wrote earlier, when doing a series of pings sometimes I receive a single timeout. Besides that it is just generally slow response times at several hundreds of milliseconds.
IT_7
Advisor

I recently discovered that the back-end device doing all the routing (which seems to be the problem) is running a constant CPU load of 40% to 65%!!!
Any of you guys having this problem, experiencing the same?

I've looked at the traffic monitor in PCM+, but there's not very heavy load on the switch at all.

Running firmware version E_08_42.
Quartino
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
proc is running at 15% and the problem is the same on multiple 530X with every os tested(not tested 8_50 yet on our main switches)

cpu load doesn't seem to be the problem

regards

Paul Vieira

Hello,

We are having the exact same issues. We have 4 5308xl's as the core with 12 HP2524 switches using 4 vlan's. Network slowness is on and off. We have investigated and changed firmware, adjusted edge devices, looked into PIM, also default routes, etc.. etc.. called HP and they seem to be shocked that there is an issue meanwhile I read the forums and seems this an apparent global issue. HP has no resolve to this.
randy bentley_1

5308 problems also. I have found a way to make ours happen at will though. I can connect a computer, another switch, anything with a MAC address. The routing stops working for IP traffic for 5 seconds to maybe 2 minutes.

But it only seems to effect our netware servers, the MS servers don't miss a beat.
IT_7
Advisor

Hi,

Has anyone any experience whether the newest firmware releases for the 5300xl series (08_50 and 08_53) solves this issue?

Rgds,
Rasmus