3799 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Slow/unstable performance on 5300xl

IT_7
Advisor

Slow/unstable performance on 5300xl

Hi,

We have 4 5300xl's in a VLAN setup with routing enabled connected with gigabit fibers.

When e.g. pinging a server on the main switch from a node on one of the other switches AND in another subnet/VLAN the response times are not at all satisfactoriuos (probably spelled that wrong :0) ).

I know that the routing process will slow the traffic down a little bit, and the response times are usually 4-6ms which should be OK.

However, every tenth time (or so) there are times at over 200ms to almost 1sec. I've even experienced drop-outs with a single "destination unreachable" every now and then.

Now my question to you is: Why could this be happening? Within the same VLAN across more switches there are no problems, so it must be something with the routing process. FYI there's no ACL's configured on the implied VLANs and routing is only enabled on the main switch.

Hope one of you have a good suggestion to what this could be caused by.
Thanks in advance,

Rasmus
33 REPLIES 33
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

Re: Slow/unstable performance on 5300xl

We have been experiencing the same problems from the beginning. HP folks here in Finland have been investigating it, but no solution has been found. We are a 9000 people organization (a polytechnic), so I guess HP should be at least somehow interested in solving the case.

We are testing some HP 9300 routers and Catalyst 3550 switches as well, no problems with them in the same topology.
IT_7
Advisor

Will you kindly let my know if you receive any updates on this? Thanks.

Rasmus
koppendorfer
Occasional Advisor

i have installed 2 5308xl as core-routers and
20x 2650 as edge switches with 9 vlans over
all switches, running the two 5308 with ospf and xrrp. routing between all vlans is working fine netio test is over 11000kb/s
so no problem there. have updatet all switches with newest software
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

We have been using all possible firmwares, also unpublished versions (directly from HP). Firmware versions haven't had very much effect on the problems.

If I hear something new about this, I'll tell here.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Maybe the default route is the culprit. Take a look at page 16-6 of the attachment; in Table 16-1, last row (Default network route).

It reads: "For the Switch 5300XL Series devices, enter an explicit default route (0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 or 0.0.0.0/0) as a static route in the IP route table."

Maybe if you type this into your config you'll get rid of the problem.
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

We are already using static routes, the network topology is so simple.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

What these guys are saying is that you HAVE TO TYPE the default network route into the config as soon as you start IP routing on the 5300XL series switches.
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

If they are STATIC ROUTES, how would you think they appear in the router, if we wouldn't have entered them there?

So, of course we have entered the default route as well.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Markku,
you can have STATIC ROUTES in your routing table without this necessarily meaning you have a DEFAULT ROUTE. It is very good you have defined a DEFAULT ROUTE, as per HP's recommendations and, yes, I know the DEFAULT ROUTE is one of your STATIC ROUTES.

But I am not sure these clarifications solved Rasmus's problem.