3588 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Some Questions about STP, VLAN, Best practicse

Alen Ahja
Frequent Advisor

Some Questions about STP, VLAN, Best practicse

Hi @all,

i attched a PDF-Document to make my explanaition easier :)

Questions about STP:

Switch 2,4,5,6 generates a loop which I must disconnect with the Spanning-Tree-Protocol (STP), correct? Must I enable STP on all switches or only on the Switch 2,4,5,6?
Must I enable STP on all ports or only on the Port on which the switches are connect together?

Questions about VLAN:

Does it gives Problems which enabled STP and VLAN? I want like to setup 2 VLANs.

Best Practises:

Did you have several Informations about this config for best practises?

Thanx for all.

Kind Regards

Alen Ahja
4 REPLIES 4
NetrunnerAT
Occasional Contributor

Re: Some Questions about STP, VLAN, Best practicse

You must set STP on all Switch.

You must set STP on the Ports they are connected to the other Switchs.

You must set STP Costs,if not ... all switch doesnt know, what line is the best to cut the loop.

STP doesnt distribut VLANs
Alen Ahja
Frequent Advisor

Thanx for your answer.

I have now only a little question.
You wrote "You must set STP on the Ports they are connected to the other Switchs."

It's right that all Ports on which the Switches are connected together must be STP enabled?

Regards

Alen Ahja
Connery
Trusted Contributor

All ports between switches SHOULD have STP enabled for best operation. In certain situations, you can "pass through" Spanning Tree BPDU frames on a switch and leave any STP blocking to the upstream switches. This is usually not advisable, but is usuable in certain configurations.

If you are using VLANs, I recommend using PVST+ (on a Cisco) or 802.1s Spanning Tree on a non-Cisco switch. Both of these Spanning Tree technologies are VLAN-aware so to speak.

Also, make sure that both ends of any link between switches has the same Default VLAN ID.

Regards,
-sean
Alen Ahja
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sean,

thanx for zour Information.
At the location, where I must do this, we have onlz HP Switches, so it makes something easier to configure.

I have now develope this STP plan (see attachment) abd i hope it will work.
I planed to enabled STP on only this ports, which are connected to an another switch.
I hope my cost plan is also correct.

Thanx for all

Kind Regard

Alen Ahja