1753797 Members
7320 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Some special switch

OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Some special switch

What switch can I find on the market that has management, and 16 ports 100-FX with SINGLEMODE connectors?
3 REPLIES 3
The Real MD
Valued Contributor

Is there any reason why you couln't use any managed switch and force the port speed to 100. For budget kit netgear is pretty good, if budget isn't an issue buy cisco.

I hope this helps

Martin.
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Dan,

I never heard of 100FX single mode connectors, why would you want them?

SCOOTER
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

SCOOTER,

My contractor wants to install single-mode optical fiber cable instead of multi-mode, and I have to connect this tiny fiber (8 microns diameter) to some transceivers.

Although the distance is under 2 km for any destination, if I use multi-mode transceivers (62.5 microns, 7 times larger in diameter), I will have huge power losses when the signal enters the fiber from the transceiver.

So I have to use single-mode transceivers, 100Base-FX. I do not need 1000Base-LX because: (a)these transceivers cost more than 100-FX, (b) I will go to a router that has 100-TX and (c) I will not need 1 Gig for these links.

I found some 100TX - to - 100FX media converters that use single-mode connectors on the optics side - to put in field offices -, but I need the same type of connector on the switch that will aggregate my dozen field offices.

100FX transceivers from HP only support multi-mode fibers - so I have to use something else for the aggregation.