Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753935 Members
9879 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Sort switch config file by VLAN #. Why ProCurve switch does't do this natively?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sergej Gurenko
Trusted Contributor

Sort switch config file by VLAN #. Why ProCurve switch does't do this natively?

Hi!

I observed that official HP support employers read this forum. Here is the question for all (the HP users and HP administrators)

Why HP Procurve configuration parser do no sort configuration correctly? VLAN interfaces always stay in order they was initially created. I prefer the Increasing sorting. I found this problem on the first HP Switches with clear text config 2524 and it stays the same for the years.

Is it wary hard to implement? What are the future plans? Is there a way to overcome this VLAN sort problem? Does anyone like current behavior? What are the benefits of existing approach? Where I can sign to a ProCurve тАЬnew features wish listтАЭ? :)
Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Carsten M
Regular Advisor
Solution

Re: Sort switch config file by VLAN #. Why ProCurve switch does't do this natively?

Hi Sergej!
There is not unsorted only the VLAN definitions. That concerns also the interface configuration of the ports. An arrangement of the configuration in sections and an assortment within the sections would be really desirable
cm60
Regnar Bang Lyngs├╕_2
Frequent Advisor

Re: Sort switch config file by VLAN #. Why ProCurve switch does't do this natively?

Oh - please - don't get me started.

The switches are doing a good job handling traffic - but the configuration:

Why are VLANs not sorted?
Why are interfaces not sorted?
Why is vlan configuration scattered - e.g., one section with IP configuration, tagging and so on - another section with OSPF.
The same with interfaces - lacp one place - spanning-tree yet another place - and port monitoring - well - two different places - one for the mirror-port and one for the monitor configuration - why?

Something equivalent to grep would be really nice.

OTOH - the "show" output is sorted which is nice. I especially appreciate that 'show ip route' is sorted.
Sergej Gurenko
Trusted Contributor

If we start to bombard our HP SE and HP support with such questions will they improve the situation? :)