108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Spanning-Tree Topology Changes on 4108gl

SOLVED
Go to solution
seymour999
Frequent Advisor

Spanning-Tree Topology Changes on 4108gl

Have a pair of 4108gls interconnected by two 1000TX trunks, both of which run G.04.05 firmware.

The root switch reports a topology change about 6 times/hour (in Topology Change Count).
There doesn't appear to be any reason for these - none of the usual events that trigger topology changes is occurring.
Further, an analyzer attached to the root switch never sees a Topology Change broadcast,
only Configuration broadcasts.

Welcome any insights.
5 REPLIES 5
seymour999
Frequent Advisor

Omitted to mention that the underlying concern is these switches appear to be flooding a lot of traffic. And increasing the MAC aging time doesn't appear to help.
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Are you using STP or RSTP? I would first of all suggest a firmware upgrade anyway. In RSTP these messages appear when a non edgeport change the status.

Kind regards,

SCOOTER
seymour999
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, Scooter.

We're using IEEE STP because there is a Cisco 2924 switch connected to the second 4108. Firmware upgrade is scheduled for tonight.
seymour999
Frequent Advisor

Upgrading the firmware fixed this.

Flooding has stopped and and no topology changes occurred in past 10 hours (compared to 6 changes/hr before).
Erik Ibsen_3
Advisor
Solution

I was just going through the HP 2524 FAQ, and I found the answer to the problem you were having. I just thought I'd add it here, as it's nice to see things on paper:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/59903102-E2.pdf

There's a section near the end of the document in the FAQ that covers STP.