New Discussion юеВ

Re: Spanning Tree

SOLVED
Go to solution
kipster
Occasional Advisor

Spanning Tree

Hi,

I've inherited a school network and want to improve redundancy and performance but don't have huge experience configuring switching infrastructure.

We have a mix of Procurve 5308xl, 3400cl, 2900, 2910, 6108, 2600 series, 2510 series, switches.

There are currently no VLANs configured (other than the default VLAN) These will come later once they've been properly planned.

Initially I just want to enable spanning tree as a large part of the school is cut off if one of a number of switches goes offline. There are redundant links in place but they're not currently plugged in!

I see there is a mix of MSTP and RSTP on these switches so my question is can I initially just enable STP through the web interface on the switches (and let them sort themselves out) or is more config needed (edge ports etc)?

Thanks for your help

Kipster

9 REPLIES 9
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

please send me topology drawing
cenk

kipster
Occasional Advisor

School / Network Diagrams attached as requested.

THe PDF shows the Redundant links in red that aren't pluged in.

The JPEG is taken from the procurve manager which shows the current connections better (but no redundant links)

If you need any fruther annotations to diagrams I'm happy to oblige.

Thanks for your help.

Kipster
kipster
Occasional Advisor

Wouldn't let me attached two files so second file (jpeg) attached here...
kipster
Occasional Advisor

just realised the fibre link between the sports hall and server room on the PDF should also show as red as this is not currently plugged in.
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

There isn't any great harm in not configuring edge ports and suchlike initially.

What I would do before enabling spanning tree is:

1. Pick a root switch, and possibly a backup by lowering their priority. If you can avoid losing the root and electing a new one as much as possible, that will help keep the spanning tree stable.

2. Bring the switch firmware up to date, or at least reasonably so. There are various RSTP/MSTP bug fixes and enhancements.
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

hi

I see few 530 access point on your network

can you connect wds(mesh) between access point
cenk

kipster
Occasional Advisor

I hadn't considered the APs, however I've just had a look on a couple of the APs under WDS and Spanning tree is enabled but links 1 to 6 are disabled.

Kipster
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi Kipster
your network probably have wrong spanning tree topology

all 530 access point disable stp (530 access factory default enable spanning tree)

and write this command on ITC an server room switch

ICT office switch

(config)# spanning-tree force-version rstp-operation
(config)# spanning-tree priority 0
(config)# spanning-tree

server room switch

(config)# spanning-tree force-version rstp-operation
(config)# spanning-tree priority 1
(config)# spanning-tree

cenk

kipster
Occasional Advisor

Hi Cenk,

Thanks for the response - I'm in the process of upgrading the switch firmware across the network (as per Richard's good advice) and will disable STP on the APs.

Once done I'll set the bridge priority on the two switches then enable STP on all other switches.

Thanks for your helpo with this, its much appreciated.

Kipster