4303 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Speed Duplex - Switch to Switch

Bergin
Advisor

Speed Duplex - Switch to Switch

Hi,

I have two 2524's that are connected together via a Cat 5 cable - currently both ports are set to AUTO and I can't see what its using.

I flipped one of the switches to 100 FDX and then I get errors:

Excessive CRC/Alignment errors
Excessive late collision detected

I set it back to Auto and the events go away.

So my questions are - what should the two ports be set to for a Cat5 uplink - auto and auto or 100 FDX and 100 FDX?

And if I leave them at Auto - what speed/duplex are they autonegotiating at?

Thanks,

Rob

3 REPLIES 3
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Re: Speed Duplex - Switch to Switch

Leave them at auto. Likely as not they are running at 100 Mbit and full duplex.

If there is no way at the switch to see the actual port characteristics (I find that surprising - the manuals at http://www.hp.com/go/procurve may be of help there) then you can do something like run some netperf TCP_STREAM tests across that switch to switch link. If you see speed in excess of 10 Mbit/s you know the link is 100mbit. If you see no collisions in the port stats you can pretty much know that it is running full-duplex - even a "unidirectional transfer" with TCP will generate _some_ collisions (not late collisions - those are different and poorly named) with the ACK's flowing back from the receiver.

I've attached some boilerplate on autoneg which you may find helpful and explain some of what you were seeing.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

"I have two 2524's that are connected together via a Cat 5 cable - currently both ports are set to AUTO and I can't see what its using."

show interface brief
Bergin
Advisor

Thanks all, the "Show Interfance Brief" does list the current Speed/Duplex and I did leave them both at auto.

Thanks,

Rob