Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stack two 4000M

Antonio Ferreira
Occasional Visitor

Stack two 4000M

Hello everyone,
I need to install 2 4000M switches on my LAN.
I have one subnet 192.168.1.x, 255.255.255.0
the network has about 100 users and approximatly 10 servers which all users access.
what is the best procedure to make this happen? is there a way to connect both switches?

Thank you.
2 REPLIES
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Re: Stack two 4000M

4000m can hold 10 blades. If you populated each slot with a 8 port 10/100 blade, you'd get 160 ports. I think you need something like 15 blades.

Build a trunk between the 2 switches. You'd get a 400mbps trunk if you use (the maximum) 4 ports on each switch.

It doesn't matter if you use trunk or FEC but don't use SA-trunk. You can also use mesh if you like since it's a simple design.

Say you use A1 to A4 of each switch for the trunk, I'd nail these ports to 100fdx.

I don't know what is the distance between the 2 switches but it doesn't matter. If it's beyond the reach of copper, just replace slot A with the 4 port 100fx card and use multimode between the 2 switches. Or singlemode if you need to go further.
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
Antonio Ferreira
Occasional Visitor

Re: Stack two 4000M

I will try that.

Thank you.