8927 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Stacking 3400 problems

Alex Tsarapatsanis
Occasional Advisor

Stacking 3400 problems

Hi all!
I have two 3400CL-48G switches stacked with the two 10GbE tranciver modules on the backplane. When i try to access the commander switch with the webinterface and then try to switch over to the slave switch the master switch reboots!!!. We hade problems with the slave switch so we got a new one form HP but with the exact same problem. FW on booth switches are M_08_75. Its kind of simular to what was fixed in the I.07.50 release of the 2800 switch.
From the release notes: "Web/IP Stack Management PR_92826 — With an eight switch IP Stack Manangement stack, management of the switches with the Web interface can cause the commander switch to crash or hang. If the user selects options too quickly or moves from one option to another the Web user interface may freeze and become unresponsive. The Commander Switch may also crash with a Bus Error. Also, TELNET and Console interfaces may become unresponsive."

Any help much appreciated!
regards Alex
6 REPLIES 6
Alex Tsarapatsanis
Occasional Advisor

Well I talked to HP and explained my problem to them and told them as well that the log reports an error as follows: â PPC Bus Error exception vector 0x300â The told me then that they had a solution for the problem and that was to upgrade to the new firmware M.08.83 for the 3400CL-48G switch. By doing so the problem will be solved. The bad news is that this release is not official yet and I have to wait for it because HP will not send me a â betaâ release of it. The strange thing is that I searched all of HP including forums and Google and the only hit o got was a post on the HP forums dated Jun 6, 2005: https://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=898467&admit=-682735245+1134473055642+28353475

Are we the only ones having this problem?

Regards
Alex
Alex Tsarapatsanis
Occasional Advisor

So i have installed the new firmware version (M_08_83.swi) on both 3448 switches but i still cannot switch from the commander switch to the member switch through the webintreface. The reeboot problem is solved (i think!?!) but the same issue exist when trying to switch from the commander to the member interface.
BTW this firmware fixed the issue of events being logged in the PCM+ that stated utilaziation was over 100% i.e 545% etc!

Regards
Alex
Ralph Bean_2
Trusted Contributor

Alex, what version of java are you using?

Ralph
Alex Tsarapatsanis
Occasional Advisor

Hi Ralph
I'm using the latest version 1.5.0_06. We have other applications that forces us to run java version 1.5.0. The status right now is that the stack is losing it's member very often, about 6 times per minute often, causing serious problems to our network. I have send an log to HP and i'm hoping the reply back soon.
Ralph Bean_2
Trusted Contributor

Alex -

Could you please give me your HP trouble ticket number? It should be a 10-digit, all number number, possibly with a following hyphen and three more digits.

Thanks,
Ralph
Alex Tsarapatsanis
Occasional Advisor

Hi Ralph
The ticket nr is 1209784678. To update you we have just flashed bouth our 3400 switches with even more recent FW M_08_86.swi. The network seems to be more stabel but still have problmes when accesing webinterface on switches.